Local animal rescue turns 39 roosters loose together

thedollysmama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Oroville, CA
All:
There is a local horse rescue that has started taking in other livestock from animal control. Their latest acquisition is 39 mature roosters. They have turned all 39 loose on their property stating that it was the first opportunity that the roosters had ever had to be free and rooster-like. There was a storm of incredulity with people mentioning that the potential for brawl and maiming was rather high. The rescue countered that the roosters would form bachelor groups and a little mild squabbling was normal.
I have my own opinion and was wondering how others felt.

Sorry if I upset anyone as I know everyone is individual and that was not intended. An individual who starts out "apparently" lacking knowledge (doesn't mean "they are" lacking knowledge) will soon gain the knowledge required to gain success in their chosen task if their heart is truly in it.

You are not upsetting anyone to my knowledge but you are promoting efforts that were carried out in a very irresponsible manner. There is more than heart required for success when working with large numbers of birds, especially when they have special needs relating to their genetically programed behaviors. Such debacles harm credibility of those engaged in rescue efforts which is a reason I do not hold them to the high esteem they desire.

Individual confinement of birds and proper training of the animal rescue people. Some of the birds may need to be eaten as well. Such birds also make better yard ornaments than many of the fluffy breeds and actually make better parents.

I see it's a while since the last post here but I thought that I would comment anyway. I think we should give credit for some intelligence to a lady "Judy" I believe, who has decided to do a rare thing and start a rooster rescue. She will know more about roosters and how they interact with each other in large groups than many of the people who have commented here. Some people just copy one another and dispose of roosters as if they are worthless. One fight and they are chicken soup - I am glad I am not the wife of 1 commenter here. How many of the people who have commented have taken the time to study rooster behaviour without making assumptions?

I think this lady has given the chance of life, a nice free life to some roosters who would no longer be here otherwise. I feel that she will know to observe her birds for any injury and illness as she is obviously a deep thinking, caring person and people who go to these lengths to save life do not do so to watch animals suffer. Why not support her efforts - everyone on this site send her a tenner to assist in her rescue centre. More positive thoughts and behaviour are called for here.

Last edited:
.................. Why not support her efforts - everyone on this site send her a tenner to assist in her rescue centre.  More positive thoughts and behaviour  are called for here.

I'll pass on that, but I can send the lady 15 more useless roosters.
Funny thing, I always equated being "rescued" with a fireman rescuing a baby from a burning building or the Coast Guard rescuing somebody from a sinking ship but I never considered that preventing a chicken from performing it's intended purpose to be a "rescue."

I'll pass on that, but I can send the lady 15 more useless roosters.
Funny thing, I always equated being "rescued" with a fireman rescuing a baby from a burning building or the Coast Guard rescuing somebody from a sinking ship but I never considered that preventing a chicken from performing it's intended purpose to be a "rescue."
This has been such a pet peeve of mine the last few years. Notice how no one ever, ever just buys a chicken anymore? They're all "rescues"!, even baby chicks most of the time. I know I'm overstating and also going to upset lots of folks, I've just noticed no animal is ever just bought or sold anymore. All "rescued".

do they have any intention of taking care of them or just letting them loose and not care for them at all, like if there were be a bad fight , or a hurt chicken?

Outcome is a function of breed. If gamechickens, then not so bright; otherwise birds will scrap a bit and settle down as they indicate. Heavier fighters may need some special attention. Long-term for so many roosters does not seem all that good; soup option might be better unless they are thought to have some particular value.

Back
Top Bottom