Locally milled feed - need advice

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
We have a local feed mill about 30 miles away that produces 17% layer feed, I bought a bag of it last week to have the ingredient list and nutrition analysis info. It is a 50# bag for 15.50 so $10+ cheaper than the Nutrina Naturwise 16% layer pellets or Feather Fixer I've always given to my hens. I'm not opposed at all to paying for the Nutrina as it seems to keep the chickens healthy, but the chance to save $50 a month is worth a look.

I'm attaching a photo of the label for your review and thoughts. What I'm seeing is less vitamins guaranteed than Nutrina, and potentially not as good ingredients? I have not delved into chicken nutrition yet, so this is all new to me.

Attachments

• 20230617_212646.jpg
    20230617_212646.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 251
This is a very peculiar ingredients list imho. It doesn’t say which grains are inside, which oil is used etc.. And I don’t see info on GMO ingredients either.

For me this would be enough reason not to buy this. In my country it has to be on the label which ingredients (the types of grains + supplements ) are inside the bag.

This is a very peculiar ingredients list imho. It doesn’t say which grains are inside, which oil is used etc.. And I don’t see info on GMO ingredients either.

For me this would be enough reason not to buy this. In my country it has to be on the label which ingredients (the types of grains + supplements ) are inside the bag.
I was wondering about that, there are several that seem vague, also the animal protein byproducts. We live in an area with tons of chicken and turkey houses and I know we have a local rendering plant that turns all the carcasses, feathers, and other things people don't eat into "protein".

Back
Top Bottom