Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Option 2 - away from house in the garden

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

angiewish

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2018
Hello all!

My partner and I are looking for some advice on where to build a chicken coop and run. This will be our first time keeping chickens, and we have moved to this 4 acre property this year. We are torn between two options for where to put the chickens on our property. We plan on starting with about 10 hens and increasing to ~20 over a few years. I've included photos of the two options that we are considering taken from the living room window (facing north).

Option 1: Inside a fenced in area directly beside our house, between our attached garage and our wood working shop. Pros - close to the house for ease of access, simple to access eggs from our kitchen door, increased security as it is inside a fence and then would also be built to keep animals out, very close to power source for heating water over the winter, a large light is set up to brighten up the space for providing care in the dark. Cons - very close to our deck space which is our hot tub area and outdoor eating area (smell), may be very loud for the girls as it will be beside the wood working shop and the door may be kept open in the summer time while working.

chicken coop location 1.jpg

Option 2: In the large garden (that we will start this year) a ways away from this house. I am not good at estimating distance, between 50-100 feet away. Pros: close to the compost bins to compost the chicken poop and straw, could build a chicken run into the garden to allow the girls to run around the perimeter and assist in bug control, no concerns about smell in our outdoor living space. Cons: larger distance from our home, increased exposure to the elements, only trees on one side for shelter in the winter winds (Zone 3A - Manitoba), will need to use extension cords to bring power to the coop over the winter.
chicken coop location 2.jpg

We would appreciate any ideas or suggestions!! Thank you so much. My partner and I have enjoyed learning from this website while planning for chickens.

Attachments

• chicken coop location 1.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 1
  • chicken coop location 1.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi and welcome to BYC! I personally would like to keep my hens closer to the house. I wouldn’t worry about smell, noises etc. The hens would get used to the workshop. I like to keep an eye on my girls. It will be more convenient for you aswell if you need to put electrics and such for them. If they are further away they could be more exposed and predators may be more inclined to have a go being away from the house. They would probably still have a go close to the house. So with adequate predator proofing it shouldn't be a problem either or. If you have a tractor you could move them around to suit.

You will also have a longer path to shovel in option 2, so take that into consideration. If you have a snowblower, which I think is probably as essential as running water up there lol, then that might not be such an issue.

Currently, I do not have my flock in full sight when I look at the window. In the future I'll put my coop and run where I can see them better from the house. My run does not smell and I have never cleaned it out; I just asa more hay, leaves, and great clippings and let it company. Granted, it is very spacious (nearly 800sq ft / 74 sq meters). Surprisingly, there tend to be more flies around my deck than around my chickens.

Both options are quite feasible. Option 1 is nice and close to you and if you clean the coop regularly you should be ok for smell. The convenience is definitely wonderful in that location!
At either spot you will most likely want a covered run for your chickens. Predators come from above as well as from the ground, plus a covered run stays less messy.
As far as electricity, I don't worry about it. All of my chickens are cold hardy breeds. Their area is covered and I usually put plastic up if we're going to have a hard, Michigan winter.
The closer you keep them, the more likely predators will stay their distance, however, a hungry predator will approach no matter the location. As long as your coop is sturdy, predator proof and well ventilated you and your chickens will co-exist happily for years to come!
Best of luck!:thumbsup

Thank you so much everyone, these suggestions have been very helpful!!

It is fantastic to hear that you do not feel the smell will bother us and that the sound of the wood working shop will likely not bother our girls. It is sounding like closer to the house will be better option.

I love the idea of a chicken tractor - I had ruled it out as I had thought of their housing as either mobile or permanent, not that we could do both. Wonderful. The girls can still visit our garden. I'll have to learn how to get them from one housing option to another. Also, we do plan on having a covered run with a transparent plastic to help keep the snow out in the winter (we get LOTS of snow) and to keep predators out year round.

Thank you so much everyone, these suggestions have been very helpful!!

It is fantastic to hear that you do not feel the smell will bother us and that the sound of the wood working shop will likely not bother our girls. It is sounding like closer to the house will be better option.

I love the idea of a chicken tractor - I had ruled it out as I had thought of their housing as either mobile or permanent, not that we could do both. Wonderful. The girls can still visit our garden. I'll have to learn how to get them from one housing option to another. Also, we do plan on having a covered run with a transparent plastic to help keep the snow out in the winter (we get LOTS of snow) and to keep predators out year round.
I think that like many people with hens you will be forever modifying, improving, altering and ultimately enlarging your run and coop! Its great fun and you will get a whole bunch of satisfaction seeing your chickens happy and giving lovely eggs everyday! I'm not a betting man but I would say you will probably have at least 20 within your first year!!!

Option 1...tho a run around the garden is tempting, could go with a vast chunnel system to get them out there form the main run.

Good run bedding should eliminate 90% of odors, tho if your deck is downwind and you entertain a lot.....

Agrees, plan with space to expand...or start with larger building than you think you will need. Nice to have separate sections in coop...main coop, grow out/isolation area, and feed/supplies(very nice in nasty winter weather).

Welcome to BYC......have fun planning!

Back
Top Bottom