Lockdown on Jumbo Brown Coturnix Quail..Pictures pg4

The only popcorn popping is in the kitchen. The dining room now at the start of day 17 has one lone little quail, that keeps making its way from one set of eggs in the corner to another 3 rows over. It keeps peeping quietly but they still don't want to come out to play.

I'm just waiting while its brooder warms.

Edited to add: Well these whites aren't early, just like a Texan with a slow drawl. Oh, did I say that. Now 3 little brown fuzzy butts, where are the A&M's?

Last edited:
Quote:
you can have whites that are split for gold or whites that are split for brown white is recessive a bird needs 2 copies of the white gene to get to be white I bought eggs from a local breeders who did not have any whites but I hatched 3 from a clutch of 17 eggs 2 had gold spots on their heads one had a brown spot

No, mine aren't the English whites. Mine are supposed to be the Texas A&M white's, no colors, no splits. TA&M Whites are white, with a spot on their head, showing a brown, gold or tibetan. These are brown, as they are drying they look to be Tibetan. I have sent an E-mail to the seller, to see if he remembers what he packed up that day my DH went to pick them up. The seller is not on BYC and is local for me.

I know he has other Jumbos and probably a full spectrum of colors, including his Wifes Buttons. Problem is I don't want Buttons, and these are real small. DH may be building even more cages. Wonder if my grandaughter wants Buttons for DH's birthday. Hmmmmm.

We'll take it as it comes.

Edited to Add: Now 5 little brown quail.

Last edited:
Button eggs are very small, they are usually green or brown with spots. So if you got them, you would definitely know it. Two button eggs would make up one coturnix egg.
Buttons on the left.
PICT0422.jpg

Texas A&M do have spots on them, just like the english whites.

Last edited:
No, mine don't look like that Rebel Rooster, eggs do. ShellyD I think I do have Cortunix J. some of the eggs are very small but probably from young birds. I think it's just that so far none of the A&M's just haven't hatched. There is one that has a Cinnamon strip right down the middle of its head and back.

My DS just came in and he finally told me he asked the guy if he had Tennessee Reds. He had red something, I think Cortunix, so that is probably what the extras are and they are just hatching first. Actually I like the Cinnamons and want some and some Goldens.

So should I take the first 3 to the brooder or leave them. With chicken eggs there usually isn't anything going on between 11PM and 4AM. Don;t know about quail.

Tried to take a picture, but the bator is pretty fogged up and all I got was glare. Try again once their all in the brooder in a day or 2.

Mine usually seem to hatch best at night, but I usually set them late in the evening too. You need to take them out as soon as you can, I usually take any hatchlings out in the morning, then again in the evening.

Shellyed, that is what I'll be doing, the 1st to hatch was at noon, so OK, I'll give the latest another hour to dry before I run them to the brooder in DS's bathroom. That's going to fix him for not telling me about the reds. He thought he'd sneak them in on me and he did.

So how much notice do you need for an order. I want some Cinnamons if I don't have any and some Goldens. I saw your 5 mixed cages last time you had them up for bid, but my bator was full. After these quail I have to set more Sicilian Buttercups (they have 1st priority) because my last hatch was dismal due to Kitchen redo and electricians kept cutting off my electric for 2-3 hours at a time. Anyway, then I can set quail eggs while DH makes more cages.

Edited to add 6 Browns, Oh forget it I'll be up for a while Midnight whoever is out goes to the brooder. That's 12 hours from the 1st and long enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've had to put all mine in the same pen for right now, I've got a pretty major problem with rats. Only the one cage is secured against rats apparently, so I need to redo my other cages before I can seperate them again. I have a trio of cinnamons, but the pen now has at least 30 birds, so the likelihood of getting cinnamons is pretty slim. Hopefully I'll be able to build better pens for them in the next week or so, then I can re-seperate them
hmm.png

Well, my incubator won't be free to start a new hatch until July 8th I think it is.

I can relate to the rat problem. Bought a bale of hay and it was full of them, I guess. Had to send my Schnauzer to ground in the Duck house to clear them out. He checks all the houses and runs daily now. Just in case.

These little ones have defined stripes down their backs and the strips are cinnamon to golden in color. I looked at Monarchs pictures in the stick and I still am not sure what they are. But they are pretty and they're mine. Hope they get big. I'm pretty sure my DH could put a dozen in his hand. When I put them in the Brooder, he had one in his hand and looked like he was holding a brown striped marble. Actually their stipes are very like my Sicilian Buttercup stripes.

Got another one hatching, soon. Piping sideways though.

Edited to add. Breeder got back to me. They are Jumbo Brown's he doesn't raide A&M's.
roll.png
I quess I wanted Texas A&M's so bad my mind just wouldn't accept anything else. A senior moment that lasted more than 2 weeks.
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom