Coturnix Quail Gender

mlcrowley

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2017
I have 7 coturnix quail. We got them 5 days after hatch (hatch date was 10/17). They are now 6 weeks old. Can anyone tell gender based on feather pattern? I’ve read that some colors you can, some you can’t. I’m not sure what colors they even are, we’re brand new to quail. Any info you can give based on the photos would be great! I tried to take pics of their chests as I read that’s where the color pattern differences would be (apologies for the awkward pics, some of them got a bit flappy mid photo shoot). If different pictures would be more helpful, I am happy to take new ones. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpeg
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7047.jpeg
    IMG_7047.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7048.jpeg
    IMG_7048.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7049.jpeg
    IMG_7049.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7050.jpeg
    IMG_7050.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 17
Any info on what their color names are? Or would these be considered barnyard mixes like chickens? We don’t know much about where these guys came from, we found them online, but I’m fairly certain it was just a mixed flock all kept together.

Are they old enough to vent sex? I’ve never tried vent sexing quail (or anything for that matter), so I don’t want to try before they’re old enough and inadvertently hurt them or something. Any tips/tricks/advice is totally welcome.

I’ve seen a lot of conflicting info/names online and not many actual pictures of the color variations (lots of drawn illustrations). I figured I might get better info from people actually looking at my quail. Thanks again!

I have 7 coturnix quail. We got them 5 days after hatch (hatch date was 10/17). They are now 6 weeks old. Can anyone tell gender based on feather pattern? I’ve read that some colors you can, some you can’t. I’m not sure what colors they even are, we’re brand new to quail. Any info you can give based on the photos would be great! I tried to take pics of their chests as I read that’s where the color pattern differences would be (apologies for the awkward pics, some of them got a bit flappy mid photo shoot). If different pictures would be more helpful, I am happy to take new ones. Thanks!
Bird #1 - Not 100% sure, going by the amount of "buff" coloring on the breast area, it could be a roo, but it does have some faint spots at the top near the neck, so that could be hen...
Bird #2 - I'd say hen, as the hens tend to have the more detailed spotting on their breast area.
Bird #3 - Roo - again, look at the amount of "buff" coloring on breast area.
Bird #4 - Roo - again, Buff coloring
Bird #5 - Not sure, never had one with those color patterns
Bird #6 - Not sure on that one neither, I'd say maybe hen?
Bird #7 - Definitely Roo - Again Buff coloring on breast area is a definite for a roo.

However.....sometimes feather sexing can be kind of hard, so .......
There is a fail-proof way of knowing, and that is vent sexing. Some may think it gross, but, it's a fail-proof way of knowing 100%. - and I will add that this is only when they have reached maturity, which is anywhere from 6-8 weeks, but mostly 7-8 weeks old.

Take the bird, and push the feathers out of the way by its vent, (FYI: same spot where they poop), and then, I'd say about a finger width below the vent, gently push on that area, if a foamy substance comes out, you have yourself a rooster. If it doesn't, you've got a hen. Either way, whether it be feather sexing or vent sexing, it is pretty simple and easy once you learn what to look for, and don't worry, that of course comes with experience. Hope this helps :)

Kind Regards,

Previous Coturnix Owner/Breeder

Ended up vent sexing (way easier than I thought!)

2 Hens and 5 Roos! #1 and #2 from the original pics are the hens.

Thank you again!

Yikes! You're going to decide which male to keep and get him some more hens!
You're not kidding! We had to very quickly separate all the males. Like clockwork they hit 7 weeks old and started tearing each other apart. We put them each in their own living space until we could get the males to new homes. Kept the male that seemed the least flighty and the least aggressive and the two girls. We are having zero luck finding hens to purchase though … the search is on!

You're not kidding! We had to very quickly separate all the males. Like clockwork they hit 7 weeks old and started tearing each other apart. We put them each in their own living space until we could get the males to new homes. Kept the male that seemed the least flighty and the least aggressive and the two girls. We are having zero luck finding hens to purchase though … the search is on!
Check your local craigslist, and you may want to post in your state thread here as well. Someone will have some for you.

Back
Top Bottom