I need some advice on quail

After what happened today, you're entitled to a little typo. Hope your birds have calmed down and maybe even a few more have returned.
I managed to catch one more while another flew off towards the tracks. Some of the kids told me they found one dead on the tracks. I'll be going out in a bit to see if any have wandered home, but it's not too likely.

I am going to be hatching some Japanese (coturnix) quail, and I need to know what is the minimum amount of protein they need in their diet? My mom said she would buy quail food, but now she is saying she will give them chicken food instead. She says she will only buy quail food if I can get it for $20 or less for 50 pounds of food, but the cheapest I can find it for is $25. Does anyone know if they have cheap chicken food that also has the right nutrients for young quail?
Go to youtube and check Myshire farm, search their video they have all your answers.

Feeding your quail chicks part 1​

What to feed your quail breeders part 2​

Go to youtube and check Myshire farm, search their video they have all your answers.

Feeding your quail chicks part 1​

What to feed your quail breeders part 2​

:welcome Welcome glad you joined us, adding your general location in profile will help with future advice. There are some very knowledgeable folks here on BYC that are more than willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask. :thumbsup

Tractor Supply sell Purina game bird starter crumble with 30% protein content and gamebird layer with 18% protein. Former in 10lb and 40lb bags at $26 for the larger bag.The layer feed at $22 for a 40lb bag. Not as cheap as your mum wants but I hear quail convert feed more efficiently into meat and eggs than chickens so perhaps you'll end up meeting her budget expectations.

Tractor Supply sell Purina game bird starter crumble with 30% protein content and gamebird layer with 18% protein. Former in 10lb and 40lb bags at $26 for the larger bag.The layer feed at $22 for a 40lb bag. Not as cheap as your mum wants but I hear quail convert feed more efficiently into meat and eggs than chickens so perhaps you'll end up meeting her budget expectations.
Be warned that if you use the Purina, their poop will STINK. They can get pretty stinky regardless, but I don't know what they put in the Purina to make them smell that bad.

:welcome Welcome glad you joined us, adding your general location in profile will help with future advice. There are some very knowledgeable folks here on BYC that are more than willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask. :thumbsup
Thank you,
I am retiring in a few months and moving to new Mexico, I have been wanted to raise chickens, coturnix quails for a very long time but where I live in Colorado I am not allowed too, I hope to moved by mid summer early fall and the first thing I want to built is a chicken coop with a protected run for predators, I have spent a lot of time looking at chicken coops from some of you guys and many others as well, I love gardening as too so outdoor garden and a green house where I can do some hydroponic.

Thank you,
I am retiring in a few months and moving to new Mexico, I have been wanted to raise chickens, coturnix quails for a very long time but where I live in Colorado I am not allowed too, I hope to moved by mid summer early fall and the first thing I want to built is a chicken coop with a protected run for predators, I have spent a lot of time looking at chicken coops from some of you guys and many others as well, I love gardening as too so outdoor garden and a green house where I can do some hydroponic.
Not sure if you noticed or not but there are some great gardening threads under Miscellaneous forum. Sounds like you have a plan for your retirement. HAVE FUN, I know I am raising Heritage Turkeys, Jumbo Coturnix Quail and Ducks.

Back
Top Bottom