Advice needed for Coturnix Quail

I've been checking River Nutrition's web site, and it looks... scammy. There is no ingredient list to be found, it's full of claims for their Pure Cleanse that is supposed to get rid of parasites, but again, no ingredient list, no nutrition information. They're ringing all of my "Danger, Will Robinson" bells.

I don't know if this is corn/soy free, but it is a better feed. Bar Ale is from my home town, which used to be known as the chicken capital. They have a good reputation, and you can find their feed all over. If your feed store doesn't have it, they may be willing to special order it, especially if they already carry Bar Ale feeds.

https://store.baraleinc.com/22-6-turkey-1-game-bird-non-gmo-grower-crumble-0997--40

You'd still need to supplement with a calcium source.

Last edited:
I've been checking River Nutrition's web site, and it looks... scammy. There is no ingredient list to be found, it's full of claims for their Pure Cleanse that is supposed to get rid of parasites, but again, no ingredient list, no nutrition information. They're ringing all of my "Danger, Will Robinson" bells.

I don't know if this is corn/soy free, but it is a better feed. Bar Ale is from my home town, which used to be known as the chicken capital. They have a good reputation, and you can find their feed all over. If your feed store doesn't have it, they may be willing to special order it, especially if they already carry Bar Ale feeds.

https://store.baraleinc.com/22-6-turkey-1-game-bird-non-gmo-grower-crumble-0997--40

You'd still need to supplement with a calcium source.
OP indicated that they wanted a Non-Soy feed. The second ingredient listed for the Bar Ale feed is Soybean meal. I don't know if they'd be able to get this in PA, but it's the only non-GMO, non-Soy I've been able find. Unfortunately, they don't have a game bird grower or layer feed.
Texas Naturals Game Bird.JPG

OP indicated that they wanted a Non-Soy feed. The second ingredient listed for the Bar Ale feed is Soybean meal. I don't know if they'd be able to get this in PA, but it's the only non-GMO, non-Soy I've been able find. Unfortunately, they don't have a game bird grower or layer feed. View attachment 3755564
This one looks good. You'll want to change to something lower in protein when they hit about 12 weeks in age, but I would use this one.

This one looks good. You'll want to change to something lower in protein when they hit about 12 weeks in age, but I would use this one.
I like that one, but it's a bit hard to source. I've been using the 28% below for chicks and switching to the 24% below at 6 weeks. I like that it at least has some animal protein (fishmeal). They have a 20% game bird finisher, but it doesn't have the fishmeal. I still have to supplement calcium, but the birds seem to like it.

Golden Oak Game Bird Starter #28​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 0-24 Weeks, Pheasants from 0-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) …………. 28% Calcium (Ca) (Max) …….,… 1.25%
Lysine (Min) ………………… 1.60% Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………. .80%
Methionine (Min) ……………. .55% Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………. .20%
Crude Fat (Min) ……………… 2.0% Salt (NaCl) (Max) …..……… .50%
Crude Fiber (Max) ………….. 5.0% Sodium (Na) (Min) …………. .20%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ….….. .90% Sodium (Na) (Max) …………. .50%
Ingredients: Plant protein products, grain products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, di-calcium phosphate, molasses products, salt choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ferrous car-bonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide.

Golden Oak Game Bird Grower #24​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 8-12 Weeks, Pheasants from 9-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………… 24%
Lysine (Min) …………………………………………………………………………………….. 1.30%
Methionine (Min) ……………….………………………………………………………………. .30%
Crude Fat (Min) ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) …………………………………………………………………………….. 5.25%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………. 1.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………………………………………………………………………… 1.50%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………………………………………………………………………….. .50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………….. .15%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ………………………………………………………………………………. .35%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………………………………………………………………………….. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) ……………………………………………………………………………. .50%
Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products (fishmeal), molasses products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dical-cium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vita-min B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid.

OP indicated that they wanted a Non-Soy feed. The second ingredient listed for the Bar Ale feed is Soybean meal. I don't know if they'd be able to get this in PA, but it's the only non-GMO, non-Soy I've been able find. Unfortunately, they don't have a game bird grower or layer feed. View attachment 3755564
Not a bad feed!

I like that one, but it's a bit hard to source. I've been using the 28% below for chicks and switching to the 24% below at 6 weeks. I like that it at least has some animal protein (fishmeal). They have a 20% game bird finisher, but it doesn't have the fishmeal. I still have to supplement calcium, but the birds seem to like it.

Golden Oak Game Bird Starter #28​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 0-24 Weeks, Pheasants from 0-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) …………. 28% Calcium (Ca) (Max) …….,… 1.25%
Lysine (Min) ………………… 1.60% Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………. .80%
Methionine (Min) ……………. .55% Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………. .20%
Crude Fat (Min) ……………… 2.0% Salt (NaCl) (Max) …..……… .50%
Crude Fiber (Max) ………….. 5.0% Sodium (Na) (Min) …………. .20%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ….….. .90% Sodium (Na) (Max) …………. .50%
Ingredients: Plant protein products, grain products, processed grain byproducts, animal protein products (fishmeal), calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, di-calcium phosphate, molasses products, salt choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, ferrous car-bonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, zinc sulfate, copper oxide, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide.

Golden Oak Game Bird Grower #24​

A Complete Feed For Growing Turkeys from 8-12 Weeks, Pheasants from 9-17 Weeks, and Starting & Growing Quail
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………… 24%
Lysine (Min) …………………………………………………………………………………….. 1.30%
Methionine (Min) ……………….………………………………………………………………. .30%
Crude Fat (Min) ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) …………………………………………………………………………….. 5.25%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………. 1.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) …………………………………………………………………………… 1.50%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) ………………………………………………………………………….. .50%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) ……………………………………………………………………………….. .15%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ………………………………………………………………………………. .35%
Sodium (Na) (Min) …………………………………………………………………………….. .20%
Sodium (Na) (Max) ……………………………………………………………………………. .50%
Ingredients: Grain products, plant protein products, animal protein products (fishmeal), molasses products, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dical-cium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vita-min B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid.
Those do look good.

Thank You all for your great responses.
@CliftonQuail Do the Golden Oak game bird feeds contain GMOs, chemicals, corn, or soy?
The tags that I posted contain all the information that I have and list ingredients. Since they say "plant protein products" and "grain products" without being specific, I suspect they probably have soy. Their website is https://www.goldenoakmilling.com/ if you want to ask them directly.

If I had my druthers, I'd feed the Texas Naturals, but it's harder to source and about 50% more expensive than the Golden Oak. Also, Texas Naturals doesn't have a lower protein game bird maintenance option and I don't want to feed 28% for their entire life.

Final thoughts are that both of these are produced in Texas and don't seem to have dealers outside of the state. You're probably better off checking with local feed mills in PA. FWIW, I just found another Texas mill that sells Non-Soy, Non-GMO game bird (Turkey) feed, but only lists a 28% option. They have a 22% option intended for chicken that might be acceptable, but their 28% Turkey is $75 for 50 pounds with shipping included. I don't know how much it would cost at a retail outlet, but that's out of my price range. If you're interested: https://handhfeed.com/feeds-we-make/chicken-poultry-show-bird-rations/
HH.jpg

The tags that I posted contain all the information that I have and list ingredients. Since they say "plant protein products" and "grain products" without being specific, I suspect they probably have soy. Their website is https://www.goldenoakmilling.com/ if you want to ask them directly.

If I had my druthers, I'd feed the Texas Naturals, but it's harder to source and about 50% more expensive than the Golden Oak. Also, Texas Naturals doesn't have a lower protein game bird maintenance option and I don't want to feed 28% for their entire life.

Final thoughts are that both of these are produced in Texas and don't seem to have dealers outside of the state. You're probably better off checking with local feed mills in PA. FWIW, I just found another Texas mill that sells Non-Soy, Non-GMO game bird (Turkey) feed, but only lists a 28% option. They have a 22% option intended for chicken that might be acceptable, but their 28% Turkey is $75 for 50 pounds with shipping included. I don't know how much it would cost at a retail outlet, but that's out of my price range. If you're interested: https://handhfeed.com/feeds-we-make/chicken-poultry-show-bird-rations/
View attachment 3757337
They probably cater to the wealthy in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area! I certainly wouldn't pay $75/50 lbs. I do like their Methionine and Lysine percentages.

They probably cater to the wealthy in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area! I certainly wouldn't pay $75/50 lbs. I do like their Methionine and Lysine percentages.
I know you have your feed custom milled. Are you willing to share where? I don't currently have anywhere near the number of birds you do, but will probably be expanding over the years.

Back
Top Bottom