Lockdown

But just in case, I hover. And lurk with a flashlight in the middle of the night.

Hatching chickens is a bit like a disease, isn't it! LOL .... And we all have the same symptoms
lol.png

If it wasn't for those eggs, I have my apple butter sitting pretty in the pantry, right along side the bbq sauce!

I hope some hatch for you!

Thank you... I think it's futile at this point!
hmm.png
However, I just added more water to the wells!

I was bidding on some more on ebay, but it's up to $50 now, and I'm not paying that for 6 eggs that likely won't hatch..... I bought 6 a few days ago and I shouldn't have... They'll be here Saturday. I just don't have much faith in shipped eggs after this.

Yes, I've candled several over the last couple of nights.... I thought one was moving, a couple days ago, but when I candled it, I couldn't tell for sure it was alive - probably just wishful thinking on my part! I'll give them until tomorrow evening and then pull the plug. Have you ever heard of eggs hatching after day 23?

You almost feel like you've lost a child
sad.png
. Bizarre. Those eggs probably never had a chance!

No, I've never heard of it after day 23. Where are the hatching experts?

I'm staring at my eggs, trying to will them to wiggle. Nothing. So of course I am freaking out over here. DH is modifying the coop to be able to separate the little ones from the big ducks and chickens. Hopefully he needs to. ack.

No, I've never heard of it after day 23. Where are the hatching experts?

I'm staring at my eggs, trying to will them to wiggle. Nothing.
Oh yes, that familiar feeling......
hmm.png
Well, I hope they do start wiggling
hugs.gif

Yes, DH is probably thinking the same thing! He'd hate to do all that remodeling for nothing
ep.gif

I had one start pipping after I got out of the shower this morning, went to get ready when I came back another started!! I could even hear one chirping!! So far its 2 out of 9! I'm so excited, this is my third try so hopefully I'll have some babies when I get home from work!! It was so hard leaving this morning but work is the only thing preventing me from hovering over the incubator lol

Last edited:
Yes, I've candled several over the last couple of nights.... I thought one was moving, a couple days ago, but when I candled it, I couldn't tell for sure it was alive - probably just wishful thinking on my part! I'll give them until tomorrow evening and then pull the plug. Have you ever heard of eggs hatching after day 23?

You almost feel like you've lost a child
sad.png
. Bizarre. Those eggs probably never had a chance!

Yes I have heard of eggs hatching after day 23---even day 25 mainly because the temp was to low. I personally have never had it to happen.

Question, how does the inside of the egg look when you candled them last? If you are candling them now----they should be just a dark egg inside--not really see anything----if you are seeing a lot of light and some little dark globs inside---they are no good?

I am not a pro----in my opinion but I did hatch over 6000 from mid 2014 to mid 2015 and a few more hundred in the last year. I will try and answer questions if you have some.

Well, there are a few that are so dark I can't see anything, but there are also a few (like you described) that seem to be mostly dark or have dark globs.... I don't know for certain, but it looks like the chick got stuck to the side??? - I do have (did) a turner in there and it worked fine, so I guess maybe damage from shipping?

6000?! Wow, thats a lot!

Back
Top Bottom