Lockdown

If you put them in on 2/5 then their hatch day is 2/26. You don't count the day you set, count starts 24 hours after set. You are using a forced air incubator?

Woke up to 2 pips this morning. I can't see a beak or inside the shell, just looks like a piece of shell sitting on the egg. I'm using a forced air incubator.

If you put them in on 2/5 then their hatch day is 2/26. You don't count the day you set, count starts 24 hours after set. You are using a forced air incubator?

But we put them in at 12am which is the very beginning of the day for 2/5 so from 2/5 12am to 2/6 12am is a full 24 hr period, am I not supposed to count that day? Not sure why we put them in so late at night lol I guess we were thinking easier to track days.

But we put them in at 12am which is the very beginning of the day for 2/5 so from 2/5 12am to 2/6 12am is a full 24 hr period, am I not supposed to count that day? Not sure why we put them in so late at night lol I guess we were thinking easier to track days.

If you put them in at 12am on the 5th, day one starts 12am on the 6th, day two starts 12am on the 7th and so on. If you set on a Sunday the expected hatch day is Sunday 3 weeks later.

Last edited:
So is it too soon for pips?

No, not at all. You're day 20. Anytime between 20-22 is normal. Normally a chick doesn't progress after pipping for a good 12-24 hours. After pipping they rest, strengthen their lungs and wait for the vascular system between egg and chick to shut down. You're right on target! My old bator ran warm and my hatches usually started day 19 with pips. This is my first incubation with the new bator and I am not expecting pipping until 20 because temps are more steady where they are supposed to be.

Thanks everyone for all your advice :) I turned them and then lockeddown now playing the waiting game lol I'm so excited I can't wait! :)

4 pips and 4 hatches today out of 11 eggs in the incubator. Oh emm geee I'm in love!! They are so adorable. The 4th is trying to get out of his egg chair right now. It looks like one of the shipped eggs pipped down towards the bottom of egg carton, but can't see well. Now to wait on the others.

The chicks keep moving the inside thermostat, one bumped it off eggs and was laying on it and my inside digital temp said 104 so had to move the chick and reposition it and then everything normalized. 2nd time no other pips are showing so didn't think it was a problem.....ugh these little guys are active

Update on lockdown! I just noticed two pips one is on the side that is facing down is that a bad thing and how long before they totally break out? I'm getting worried ;-(

Update on lockdown! I just noticed two pips one is on the side that is facing down is that a bad thing and how long before they totally break out? I'm getting worried ;-(

Some times it can take 24 hours +/- for it to break out after pip. Facing down has Never effected my hatch. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom