Locked up duck feet? Anyone else?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
A little quick backstory…. Agate, my duck, was attacked by a raccoon 3 months ago. He survived but his brother did not however, both sustained injuries on both legs. It seems the raccoon was targeting their legs, his brother broke his and didn’t survive because of this. Now that Agate has survived he hasn’t been on his feet since this attack and his fine motor skills are not well but they’re getting better. Recently he is able to get out of the pool all by himself and actually swim in the direction he wants to. Just for clarification, his legs were never broken by what I saw the first time I got him. He didn’t even sustain any injuries on the feet itself but actually on the upper ankle where the whole leg bends. So with this being said now I’m very confused… the bend where the foot is cannot move AT ALL on both feet. So I know there’s no way this can be an injury because how could both feet be locked in the same exactly position? He cannot move his feet at all only his ankles and I cannot move them manually they are absolutely locked in place by some kind of force. It doesn’t seem like he can move his toes at all either not even a wiggle or scrunch but he used to be able to during the first 2 weeks of his injury. No vet will do anything for him… they suggest to put him down. I don’t feel comfortable doing that and am currently in the process of building him a wheelchair and finding him a new duck mate. B complex is on the way as someone suggested just maybe that’s causing his lameness and physically, his legs have been healed for almost a month now. During the first month of his injuries he was barely eating if at all. Maybe that has to be the cause… insufficient diet? Even though he is eating well now? Ugh I don’t know… Has anyone else had this happen to their duck?! I feel so lost I can’t find anything online about duck feet just locking up and unable to move at all… there has to be some other issue I’m not seeing 💔 I’d take any suggestion for him to walk again he wants to do bad but he physically cannot because his feet are completely locked in place

A little quick backstory…. Agate, my duck, was attacked by a raccoon 3 months ago. He survived but his brother did not however, both sustained injuries on both legs. It seems the raccoon was targeting their legs, his brother broke his and didn’t survive because of this. Now that Agate has survived he hasn’t been on his feet since this attack and his fine motor skills are not well but they’re getting better. Recently he is able to get out of the pool all by himself and actually swim in the direction he wants to. Just for clarification, his legs were never broken by what I saw the first time I got him. He didn’t even sustain any injuries on the feet itself but actually on the upper ankle where the whole leg bends. So with this being said now I’m very confused… the bend where the foot is cannot move AT ALL on both feet. So I know there’s no way this can be an injury because how could both feet be locked in the same exactly position? He cannot move his feet at all only his ankles and I cannot move them manually they are absolutely locked in place by some kind of force. It doesn’t seem like he can move his toes at all either not even a wiggle or scrunch but he used to be able to during the first 2 weeks of his injury. No vet will do anything for him… they suggest to put him down. I don’t feel comfortable doing that and am currently in the process of building him a wheelchair and finding him a new duck mate. B complex is on the way as someone suggested just maybe that’s causing his lameness and physically, his legs have been healed for almost a month now. During the first month of his injuries he was barely eating if at all. Maybe that has to be the cause… insufficient diet? Even though he is eating well now? Ugh I don’t know… Has anyone else had this happen to their duck?! I feel so lost I can’t find anything online about duck feet just locking up and unable to move at all… there has to be some other issue I’m not seeing 💔 I’d take any suggestion for him to walk again he wants to do bad but he physically cannot because his feet are completely locked in place
Sorry to hear shout the attack and all it’s caused
I myself have not had a duck with feet locking
I would try
Durvet vitamin B complex 1ml over treat or directly by syringe a good 3 -4 weeks daily
I would also but him on nutritional yeast 1 tbs to 1cup feed
Then I would start him on Nutridrench or poly vi sol infant drops without iron to help give other vitamins he may have been missing not eating as much
Continue with swimming
But also start working his feet and toes with physical therapy you do yourself
My thoughts either being off his feet feet so long would be like us humans with a tragic accident and take time to learn how to walk again or he had some kind of nerve damage
You are doing great so far as you kept him alive and healing
Hopefully others can offer more suggestions too

Back
Top Bottom