Lone Chinese Weeder goose

runningkaren

Chirping
13 Years
May 13, 2008
South Central PA
Someone I recently met tried to hatch 4 chinese weeder goose eggs but only one hatched. That gosling imprinted on her and she couldn't keep it. This whole episode is so wrong but I have a farm with ducks and a pond so I said I would take the goose. Predictably, the goose doesn't recognize the ducks in any way but follows people everywhere. I intend to keep leading the goose to the ducks and hoping... My question is about the goose and housing. I intend to setup a dog house for the goose. Best idea to simply put straw on the floor and no feed or water inside? Do I have to shut the duck inside at night or can there simply be an enclosure (fence) restricting roaming? I do shut my ducks in a hut at night.... Any other suggestions?

Is there a reason she can't sleep in the duck hut?

Oh, and enjoy her friendliness. Hand raised geese enjoy hanging out with people just as much as a puppy or kitten.

The duck hut is rather tight with the 15 ducks in it. I suppose come winter that would keep the whole group warmer but I think it would be too hot right now. Also, the gosling very literally doesn't even appear to see the ducks! We keep walking her/him into their midst but she keeps her focus on our ankles! And, yes, she/he is extremely adorable and affectionate. We are having the best time with her/him.

I just asked because it seems less trouble than building a house for a single bird. Plus she might bond more with the others if she stays with them. Geese aren't too picky in their housing. As long as she is safe from predators, she will be fine at night.

I'm glad she's not aggressive to the ducks. She just doesn't consider them her flock. Perhaps time will change that--then again you may just have a house goose on your hands.

If your ducks/goose aren't enclosed in predator proof shelter every night they will eventually get eaten.
A pond to escape to is not enough either.
See my websites raising waterfowl tip page for a tragic example.

We adopted a male white chinese goose who was hand raised by some people in a condo? go figure that one. Long story short, he is now in my yard/canal. He is free to go and he does go out and gets fed by a lot of people in the neighborhood, but he always comes back to one of the yard on the canal bank near by at night.. This summer we got him a girlfriend and now he is teaching her the ropes, who they can git fed by, which yards to stays away from. Strange things in the canal (nature instinct is amazing) Geese are great every one has its own personality.

Angel and angelina happy as can be....

YEa they are very cute, he is very protective of her, he puts on quite a display throws his wings out hisses lie he is going to put a real hurting on you. It's all fake but it looks real good.

They have been mating in the little kiddie pool out back, and even though she is quite young, she has laid 4 eggs but she doesn't sit on the yet.
My dog seems to find them before I do, and she has eaten them.

Oh well maybe next yr....

Ill post some pics for you to see. Quite the pair

Oh, yes please on pics.
thumbsup.gif
I love how protective the males are (ask me that one again during breeding season
roll.png
)

Back
Top Bottom