Lone Mallard Duckling

MelsGarden

Hatching
Apr 24, 2024
Hello! I have a mallard duckling that hatched yesterday. Long story short--it was the only egg I was able to save from a fox. The fox also killed the mother. I know it needs at least one other duckling to be around, but I am struggling to find one. Purchasing online will be at least a week before it arrives. Any advice would be appreciated!

I've heard that you can put stuffed animals in brooders, to help keep them company. I don't know if that works, but you could try!

Do you have a local TSC(tractor supply)? If not a Rural king? go to one of these places and buy two ducklings. you should have a little trio so if something happens to one of them. Also try to get a duck that will grow up to be around the same size as a mallard. Maybe a call, runner, or khaki?
Hi--I have both near me and all are out. I am going to keep calling though :). I didn't know if a different breed would be ok to be with the mallard duckling. Thank you!

I've heard that you can put stuffed animals in brooders, to help keep them company. I don't know if that works, but you could try!
Thank you! I have small mirrors available now and a small stuff duck arriving today. It cried all night last night, so it definitely needs something more.

Thank you! I have small mirrors available now and a small stuff duck arriving today. It cried all night last night, so it definitely needs something more.
We got a singleton last night, I have an existing flock that it will eventually join. And this is the second time we’ve taken in a singleton and added it to our flock. The mirror with something to cuddle up has been the best thing we’ve found (aside from another duckling). There was not much crying last night and today he/she seems content.
IMG_0875.jpeg

Don’t mind my temporary brooder. This was not planned, we took him in at 8 last night. Gotta get my actual brooder set up today.

We got a singleton last night, I have an existing flock that it will eventually join. And this is the second time we’ve taken in a singleton and added it to our flock. The mirror with something to cuddle up has been the best thing we’ve found (aside from another duckling). There was not much crying last night and today he/she seems content.
View attachment 3810313
Don’t mind my temporary brooder. This was not planned, we took him in at 8 last night. Gotta get my actual brooder set up today.
Thank you! I may try a little bit larger mirror to see if it helps. I do have a rolled up terry cloth for it to cuddle with. It did lay next to it this morning.

Back
Top Bottom