Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
A little out there , but for this big snow storm, should i leave my 5 hens inside or should i shovel and let them "play" in the snow? I know we are supposed to be getting 20 inches or so and this is my first winter with my chickens. Thank You !

A little out there , but for this big snow storm, should i leave my 5 hens inside or should i shovel and let them "play" in the snow? I know we are supposed to be getting 20 inches or so and this is my first winter with my chickens. Thank You !
I shovel and let them out it doesn't bother them although if they have never seen snow before it will be funny to watch their reactions to it.

I just have a 75watt ceramic heat "bulb". its not a bulb and can never blow out! Although its meant for reptiles, it does the job fine.

How much heat will be needed in a 5x8' coop when it gets cold ??
They honestly don't need any heat. They are well insulated. The only time you may have an issue is with breeds that have large combs you may need to put vaseline on the to keep the tips from getting frostbite.

Hi. I am a fellow Long Islander in Suffolk county. I am looking to buy fertilized eggs because I just got an incubator for my birthday. (everyone laughs at me for this gift but I know you will all understand). Would love to hatch some chicks! Does anyone know of a place to buy them on Long Island?

Hi! We are in Hampton Bays and we got to Agway for nearly everything chicken related. I've never seen any info about fertilized eggs there, though. If you call and ask them, they may be able to help. There's also a hatchery online, MurrayMcMurray that I'm pretty sure will send you the fertilized eggs. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Agway doesn't sell fertilized eggs. I was hoping to get them locally. I know the hatcheries will mail them but that sounds dangerous to me and is quite expensive. Was hoping to pick them up and not subject them to the post office and shipping.

Thanks for the reply. Agway doesn't sell fertilized eggs. I was hoping to get them locally. I know the hatcheries will mail them but that sounds dangerous to me and is quite expensive. Was hoping to pick them up and not subject them to the post office and shipping.
I have fertilized eggs. Private message me on here.

I'm from Long Island. Just started raising chickens this year. So far I have 2 Colombian wyandottehens. 11 weeks old. Currently looking for some more to add to my flock

Back
Top Bottom