Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
Hey Long Islanders, how about this rain!? I'm wondering if your chickens were outside ALL day in this crazy weather like mine were!? I was a nervous nelly being that it's the first time it's rained this much for an entire day and it's 50 degrees- brrrr! They seemed to do alright; got 4 eggs out of 5, and they didn't want to go back in the coop until 7pm despite being pretty drenched. I think I'll keep them in the coop longer thru the rest of the storm though. I don't see how being outside and wet all day is good for them.

My girls spent most of the time under the coop or in the coop when it was raining hard. It definitely was cold 49 by me but they seemed to tolerate it fine.

Hello all. From West Babylon here.
Anyone out there could digest Babylon Town ordinance on raising backyard chicken in a way I can understand please? Lol
There's a 100 ft from any dwelling but if I follow that, my future Coop will be in the middle of the street. Does that mean I can't raise any chicken? My coop would be on the back of my backyard and my neighbors houses are definetely less than 100 ft from the coop. Anyone out there from West Babylon that could help me understand this ordinance, please?
Thank you so much

I'm not a West Babylon resident but I read/interpret codes as part of my job quite often...They may ask for your cross streets or home address to determine the answer or your residential zone. That is up to you if you want to provide personal info or just ask a general question. They may allow it under your Residence district Zone due to smaller lot sizes etc. but otherwise you might not be able to due to that minimum distance of 100 feet. Seems silly and codes are always tricky/circumlocutory, for legal reasons. You might also ask "what if its only 10 birds" or whatever, maybe they are not that strict (assuming you're doing that small number). I would try to ask around and scout out if anyone in the neighborhood has a coop and ask them. If the code was written a very long time ago, and there are more people getting into this currently, you might want to search the BYC forums on how to fight to change the code.

It says under 30 fowl you have to be 100 feet from your neighbors. But...are your neighbors cool with chickens coming?? My neighbors were all for me getting chickens and to be honest I didn't even check what the TOWN wants.

Hello, I am from Long Island. Very new to chickens but we just built our coop and are looking for a couple of egg laying hens. Not famiiar with the breeds other than we had bantam chickens at one point.

Looking for friendly birds as we have an animal loving 3 1/2 year old daughter who wants to help care for them.

Any help or advice is much appreciated! We do not know the best place to buy or adopt so would love to start there.

Manny & Kim
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom