Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
Hello,
Last winter was our girls' first winter and it was one of the coldest and snowiest in a long time. We don't have heat nor insulation and the girls did just fine. Mostly we decided to not put in heat because many of our storms come with power outages and then they might not be able to handle the cold. Some bitter, cold mornings I did bring out some warm oatmeal with apples for then because I felt so bad, but they seemed fine! We chose cold hardy breeds though, so that may have helped- black australorp, barred rock, silver laced Wyandotte, buff Orpington and 2 Also I did have to spend some time putting Vaseline on their wattles which were getting frostbite.

We have an enclosed run with a roof, so we did wrap the lower 3 feet of hardware cloth with clear plastic to keep the snow (mostly ) out of the run, so they always had somewhere snow free and partially windblocked to hang out during the day. The only times that they wouldn't come out of the coop was during blizzards.
I hope that helps!

I also don't have insulation in my coop or use heat lamps. As long as there is ventilation in the coop that keeps air flowing but also keeps the chickens draft free they will be fine. I pretty much do exactly the same thing in winter as I do in summer.

Thank you so much for all this useful insight! I'm just now building my chicken coop and don't want to spend all the extra money on insulation so good thing they don't really need. I will have double walls, ply wood on the outside and the inside so that should help keep them a bit warmer. Also I have cold hardy breeds (barred rock and faverolles) so that should be plenty. Thanks again for the help!

Thank you so much for all this useful insight! I'm just now building my chicken coop and don't want to spend all the extra money on insulation so good thing they don't really need. I will have double walls, ply wood on the outside and the inside so that should help keep them a bit warmer. Also I have cold hardy breeds (barred rock and faverolles) so that should be plenty. Thanks again for the help!
How many chickens do you have? How big are you building your coop? What part of the Island are you from?

I have 18 chickens and my coop is 8 ft by 6ft, I think it has plenty of space for them but they're still young so who knows. I don't actually live on long Island, I live in Queens but long island is the closet I'm going to get to finding a thread I belong to haha

Hi, I'm Kiki from Shirley
big_smile.png
I am currently building my coop and run. I am doing research to try and find the best places out here to get feed. I would love some suggestions
thumbsup.gif
i will read backwards on the thread to see if this has already been answered.

So i went to my local plant nursery/farm stand where i get my milk from and she told me about the feed store that the they use as well as the farmers over here. The do large quantities which i think is great for me but i went out to Eastport Feed and their prices are awesome so I will be buying from them. 50lb bags for $17
thumbsup.gif
. Eastport Feed Ranch

So i went to my local plant nursery/farm stand where i get my milk from and she told me about the feed store that the they use as well as the farmers over here. The do large quantities which i think is great for me but i went out to Eastport Feed and their prices are awesome so I will be buying from them. 50lb bags for $17
thumbsup.gif
. Eastport Feed Ranch
Are you just looking for regular layer pellets? I used to go to easport feed but they are expensive. I get 50lbs bags of layer pellets from Agway in Riverhead for $12.33 a bag. If you are never in riverhead it would be a hassle but if you get out there to shop or whatever I would suggest it.

Back
Top Bottom