Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
Mahlzeit I don't mind the drive I will definitely check it out! Thank you!
clap.gif
LI chickie, that is very true but I always try and find the best price, I will be getting my oats from them. Thank you
big_smile.png

Does anyone use sand in there coop, i am trying to find river sand but i can't it anywhere. I have read that is the best for the chickens.

I put sand in my run but I put wood shavings in my coop. With the poop board my coop stays really clean. I got a 1/2 a bag from the place in Ridge I think its Residential fence.

Last edited:
Hi all, Long Islanders I'm in Hauppauge 7 ducks 8 chickens nice and legal but what about the 25- five week old quail that are ready to go outside now I'm way over my limit. Don't know what I was thinking. What I was thinking was quail aren't poultry. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about neighbors that don't like chickens? Guess I'll have to come up with an alternative for my quail. I wanted them to have a outdoor aviary guess I will have to reinvent the wheel. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Does anyone have a local coop builder ?

Well obviously the quail need to be outside....do you not have an enclosure for them at all? If not you are going to need to build something fast for them otherwise they won't last. Maybe purchase a premade structure. If you are not looking to keep them I know of an organic quail farm on the east end called feisty acres....maybe u can donate them to her.

I use sand in my chicken coop. They have white sand for children's play box at home depot. Sometimes its wet so I spread it out on a tarp and let it dry out keeps my coop clean. Chickens love to dust bath in it. I scoop it out every so often with a cat litter scoop. It stays dry therefore no smell. I've always used sand in my coop. Recently I added some straw I have a dicken ( a duck who thinks she's a chicken) so I added straw for her but now she roosts next to the chickens on the poop shelf that's under my roosting 2x4's. I also have a cranky neighbor that reported my chickens but thank god I'm in compliance

Quail I email feisty acres she wont take them she offered to eat them though. I spoke to someone that tried to establishing a colony on long island but it didn't work out. Does anyone know of any other place for male quail. I didn't think the would make as much noise as they do.

Back
Top Bottom