Long Islanders!! Long Island Poultry is GREAT....

Messipaw

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Hi All fellow Long Islanders,
I'm in South Huntington. New to the whole "backyard chicken" lifestyle. So far so good....I'm loving it. For anyone still looking for pullets Wayne of Long Island Poultry is the best. http://www.longislandpoultry.com/index.html ... We got four red stars from him (debeaked). They are the very best!! He also has a FB page https://www.facebook.com/LongIslandPoultry?fref=ts

Also in Huntington is a great store New York Thrives http://newyorkthrives.com/

Where are you located? Anyone close to me? I would love to share info.
Let me know.

I get my chickybabies tomorrow! Super hyped!!!!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

OMG so cute. I got the same mix from him last year. They are all doing great. Good layers! Keep me posted on the names. Good luck.

Hey! I'm in Commack and I also got my chix from Wayne this spring. Australorp, sex link and rir. They're all healthy and doing well and I would definitely recommend Long Island poultry! They're closed for the season but should have more chix in march
When did you get yours??

Wayne was great and so very helpful. We got our RIRs, BRs and EE in may. The memorial day weekend. They were all hatched in January. Once They were settled in the coop and pen we were getting eggs. It was awesome. LoloL

Ohhh you got older girls! I got mine on April 26 as two day old chicks so it was pretty stressful haha but worth it. 2/3 are laying at this point and I'm getting one from each daily! I actually would like for them to take breaks once in a while, poor girlies.

Oh cool. I wanted to get babies but I was nervous since the whole chicken keeping was new to me. I would love to try next spring.
My six hens are doing great. They get a good amount of supervised free range in because of this darn hawk that comes around sometimes.
Are you heating your coop? And are you putting a light in for eggs all winter?
Did you do the "North Fork hen houses tour"?

I'm new to it too! Li poultry did have two week olds for sale on the same day but I was prepared to take care of babies and they're so irresistible! Does huntington still have the 8 hen limit, I know I read that somewhere but I don't know if it was up to date. I let my chix out when I'm home but I'm not always necessary outside watching them. That sucks you have hawks :( I haven't heard any around me but I always listen for any strange noises while they're out. My birds are supposedly cold hardy so I hadn't planned on heating the coop but I'll have to think of something if they're unable to handle it.. Are you heating yours?? I'm not adding light for the winter, I do want them to take a break, I'm sure laying eggs everyday is hard on their little bodies :)
And what is north fork hen houses tour??? Sounds interesting...

That darn hawk really put a dent in my free-ranging plans. I used to let my hens free-ranging all day. It was awesome. Now that the trees lost some leaves they become visible I places . So now the stay in their 20x16 pen while we are at work and free-ranging when we are home. I know they are more then fine with plenty of room. I just loved the whole free-ranging all day plan.
We are nothheating our coop or putting a light in either. I was told that all the hens I have are cold hardy so they should be fine. We are going to stack up on hay for inside the coop which is in their pen. I'll make sure they have a nice thick layer for warmth. We are going to wrap the pen on three sides with tarps to avoid a draft. From what I read and from what other members are saying is that I shouldn't close my windows or vents either. What do you do?
I agree with giving them the winter off. LoloL it's hard work.
The north fork hen house tour is a event planed out east where you pay five dollars for a map that has a bunch of places listed on it that raise chickens. You can visit as many placesas possible between certain hours to see how they raise their chickens. It was cool because you get to see their chickens, coops and setups. The owners also where very helpful withaanswering questions. I believe they run the event every year.

Back
Top Bottom