Look what we caught in our trap....

Pics
That is definitely a mink. I'm here to attest that they will go on killing sprees and take everything in a building. In my case they didn't bother piling up the carcasses and caused no visible damage. They were just dead and nothing eaten.
My family has raised chickens here or within a mile of here at the old homestead since the 1870s. We never had an issue with or even saw a mink.
About 6 years ago Walmart built a store 3/4 of a mile from my house as the crow flies. In the process, they cut about 80 acres of old growth forest along the creek at the bottom of the hill. Within a couple weeks, the attacks started and I was trying to figure out how, what I thought were raccoons, were getting in. It soon became clear the culprit/s weren't raccoons. In less than a week I lost about $3,000 worth of birds. Each night they got into another building and killed everything inside. I installed a baby monitor in one of the remaining buildings and was awakened by carnage. I ran out and was able to stop it after it had only killed half the birds. That was when I realized they can get into an opening as large as an inch. There was a gap above the concrete floor at the base of the door. I fixed that and hadn't lost another bird for a couple weeks. But every other building was invaded over time. One had no opening over 1/2" but after losing every bird in that building I found a small gap where the bottom of the siding had pulled away from the sill plate.
That experience almost got me out of the chicken business.
To try to salvage the rare genetics I cut out eggs from some of the hen's and it took me a week to burn all the carcasses.
I've killed 3 mink but I'm not naïve enough to think they are no longer around.
Those losses set back my breeding program by many years.
Agree - definitely a mink. Both the long tailed weasel and short tailed weasel (ermine) would be white by now in UT. The mink doesn't change color.

I have switched all outside lights to on - not motion detection, have a radio on and one eye on the DuckyCam…
Tomorrow morning i will drive to the local hardware store and buy foam...
The openings i have to seal is just where the profile of the metal roof is bending away from the wooden structure. And i have to figure out how to seal some gaps at my self-made door (i am not a carpenter…)
Why the heck is that thing coming now? All the time i had raccoons lurking around, never saw a weasel. DANG!
I would also keep the trap set!

I doesn’t particularly matter to me what you personally glean from this. My only point is the term leg trap conjures up images of a bear trap with teeth for many people that don’t know any better or have zero experience with them. Which is the vast majority of the population in this country. Obviously I’m a big proponent of trapping. I’m not denying that and I prefer to see people who actually use traps not link to AR themed articles that are entirely one sided. Again I would assume one would use better judgement.
Semantics can make all the difference nowadays.
I see tons of links to trapping articles, where to buy, etc.. Very little information of how to actually set them, where, bait, lure, anchoring etc.. you know the actual important stuff. I still trust that if someone can manage to find their way to BYC they can manage to type in “traps” in a search bar.
You've referenced AR types twice. I'm not familiar with the term - can you clarify?

HELP. Three nights ago seven of my banties were killed. Last night another banty and one of my black copper French Marians were killed. All inside the coop. All at nighttime. It is digging under the “threshold “. That is the only place I don’t don’t have 1/2” mesh wire. I’m going to right now cut 3/8” rods and bend one end and drive them into the ground. Other than this method I need a radar controlled 12 ga. with #4 buck. Got my anchor bolts cut and bent. Gotta soak up some water and rehydrate. Oh yeah, I tempted 3 banties into the house. They love toast. Back at it.

HELP. Three nights ago seven of my banties were killed. Last night another banty and one of my black copper French Marians were killed. All inside the coop. All at nighttime. It is digging under the “threshold “. That is the only place I don’t don’t have 1/2” mesh wire. I’m going to right now cut 3/8” rods and bend one end and drive them into the ground. Other than this method I need a radar controlled 12 ga. with #4 buck. Got my anchor bolts cut and bent. Gotta soak up some water and rehydrate. Oh yeah, I tempted 3 banties into the house. They love toast. Back at it.
How big was the hole?
Not sure how rods will help....take pics!
Might want to use some pavers at threshold.

Back
Top Bottom