Looking for a Coop Kit

Don't waste your money. It's about the right size for 2 hens. Do you own any tools? For $500 you can build a very nice and long lasting coop. If you're not too proud to go dumpster diving, you can usually salvage most of your supplies. Have you looked on CL for sheds, play houses, swing sets.... Your area will also dictate how much of a coop you need.

Not looking to spend that much coin on a coop.

I guess I could get the plans and build one, but with 2 young kids my time is very limited. The pre fab kits were intriguing due to the 1-2 hr of build time.

So you feel this will be too small for 6?

What does it lack to be suffice to for 6? Could I modify to increase capacity?

That link didn't work for me...but most coops that say they are for 6 chickens are only big enough for half that many, or less.

Good article on Space in my signature......and Ventilation too.

Not looking to spend that much coin on a coop.

I guess I could get the plans and build one, but with 2 young kids my time is very limited. The pre fab kits were intriguing due to the 1-2 hr of build time.

So you feel this will be too small for 6?

What does it lack to be suffice to for 6? Could I modify to increase capacity?

The coop is about 30"x36"or 7.5 sq feet. A hen occupies about 1 sq ft. Roosts need to be 18" away from the walls to fit her body plus enough clearance for her to fly down. She needs 1' roost space. All this says only one 30" roost or enough space for 2-3 hens.

The coop is also not predator proof. Try explaining that to 2 kids

Not long after joining this forum and getting our first chicks, I started a thread - First Lesson Learned: Pre-fab Coops...are too small.

We bought a pre-fab coop from the farm store the day we bought our chicks. Before they were even out of the brooder we realized our mistake. As they grew it became very apparent 6 full grown chickens were not going to fit in that coop confortably. (It was advertised for 6). We also started wondering how they would be kept safe from predators and how to keep them dry during wet/snowy weather.

Lucky for us we had an unused 8' x 18' shed on the property that my husband was able to convert and built a covered run. We sold the pre-fab coop on Craig's List, unused to someone raising Silkies.

Here is a pic of the pre-fab coop...

At first glance it seemed like a good start, then we learned what is really necessary to keep the chickens safe and comfortable. After getting through the first winter I asked my husband "do you think the chickens would have made it through the winter in that first coop?" He said "no way". We don't even have harsh winters.

Save your money. There are many great and thrifty ideas in the COOPS section.

Since your post was several months ago, you probably have your coop installed by now, whatever you chose.
I'm offering a few comments on SummerHawk coop kits since that's what I bought and had my daughter's boyfriend assemble for me. I got the vintage red barn coop -- supposedly good for 4 chickens.

I am very pleased with the materials used in this coop/pen combination and I love the "classy" appearance since my chickens are in my urban backyard and I wanted something that looked nice. The assembly instructions were easy to understand. So I'm well satisfied with SummerHawk and this coop -- with one exception: SIZE.

As a newbie, I guess I didn't realize how big my large breed pullets would get. Now that they're growing, I see that my coop is WAY too small. I'm disappointed that sellers of coop kits give larger-than-realistic statements on how many chickens a coop will hold. Mine was stated as being for 4 hens. I'll be lucky if 2 adult hens are comfortable in the space. So I've ordered a 2nd matching coop and intend to do some remodeling to join the 2 and then have comfortable sleeping space for all the girls.

I know -- by this time and money spent, I could have built something much larger. But I'm not skilled in building. (I'm a senior lady and tend to be a klutz.)

Back
Top Bottom