Looking for a European starling and house sparrow

Sarid

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
I love wild birds outside and I know they are illegal to keep but I do know that the European starling and house sparrow is legal to keep. Birds at a pet shop are expensive and or not my cup of tea. I would take one of anyone's hands or buy it. I live in Georgia and hoping to find someone nearby? If not I don't think you can ship them. I do have experience with pet birds and wild. ( only reason with wild because during mating season baby chicks would be on my chimney floor) I released them when they got older. And hoping to have one of these little guys. :)

Any kind of trade with those I suspect will involve legal challenges. That being said, two approaches would be considered here. First, wait till next spring and harvest nestlings that will imprint on you. Second option is to kind where flocks of juveniles are roosting and catch one at night with a net; or use a trap.

I would do it myself but I don't see any where I live. And finding a nest would be even harder as I can't find any. All the nest with eggs or chicks are native. So I figured if anyone had any they don't need or has plenty where they live (catching them?) I would love to take them. Thanks for your help though. ;)

Go to a horse barn and look. Prior to attempting something like you are contemplating, it is best you see how the birds operate naturally. You see variation based on age and sex. Communications will also be heard and seen. Not to mention what the birds eat and how they do it.

I should go to one but I have three horses of my own, etc. I try trapping and putting out bird seed but I catch natives. I thought someone might have one here.

I should go to one but I have three horses of my own, etc. I try trapping and putting out bird seed but I catch natives. I thought someone might have one here.
What kind of traps do you use. Traps I am familiar with capture almost exclusively English House Sparrows or Starlings. Most of those trapped are not of the age class you want.

Talk to locals about nesting habits for both species. Even reach out to your local wild bird enthusiast as they can give insight on what they regard as pest.

I am pretty sure what you are asking of others when it comes to providing you with birds is more likely than not to be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom