Looking for advice on integrating new flock

Wineart

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA.
Hi Peeps, I need advice please.

This is my first attempt of introducing a new flock of 4 to 1 older 5 yrs old hen.

My 4 ( two and half month old chickens) have been introduced slowly and are now in the same coop. There are a few issues. The first issue is that 1 of them is a silkie. They currently all sleep on the ground floor of the chicken run. I have tried to put them into the roost at night time but the older hen who is five years old won't have them share the space. She pecks on them pretty badly at times, better if they are free ranging. One last night tried to roost with the older one and she would not have it. Pecked her badly.

Here are my questions---
1) Do I get another silkie to snuggle with her or is she okay to sleep on the floor? I guess I need to build her her own nesting box ? since it will be difficult for her to get into the roost being so small. (I made the mistake of not knowing she was a bantam)
2) Do I take the 5 year old out of the coop and put her into a dog crate so that the other 3 can learn to roost?
3) Do I put them into the roost at night and just continue with the pecking issues till they get resolved?
4) The little ones don't seem to understand that the food is in that feeder. Will they figure this out? They don't seem as smart as my first flock. lol

My coop set up is pictured here. It has the run attached. So...looking for recommendations. I knew this was going to be challenging but not this challenging. ;o)

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpg
    IMG_6634.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 6
1. She's fine on the floor. Silkies may not roost at all.

2 & 3. Is there just one roost bar or more than one? Really helps with chicks if they can roost separately from the adult(s) or at least as far away as possible from them. If there's only one bar, you might try putting a divider on the bar, if there's space for that.

4. How are they currently eating then? Are you using the feeder that came with the coop (these come with PVC Y shaped feeders right?) Might want to try a different style feeder that will allow more than 1 bird to eat at a time.

Back
Top Bottom