looking for advise

birdnerd88

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
I'm new to the chicken scene but I'm hoping to convert an avian enclosure I have into a coop. I did wildlife rehabilitation for nearly ten years but haven't for the past few years. the eight foot tall by four foot wide, wood and wire, hexagonal structure has mostly been used as a summer fly space for my ringneck turtledove but I would love to get more use out of it.
what I'm wondering is this: is there a good source (either book or internet) on the particulars of what makes a good chicken coop? I'm looking for things like ideal nest box size, roosting dimensions for different numbers of birds, ideal ramp inclines, etc. the really nitty gritty of design.
I work at a sanctuary for abused farm animals so my birds will likely be rescues in a range of sizes (the one hen I have in my home now is a large white hen who was previously a factory egg layer). I'm thinking of a small flock of perhaps three hens (roosters are banned in my area).
any advise from more experienced hands would be greatly appreciated!

You may want to try Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. You'll find information about coop size, space requirements per bird, roost bar dimensions, etc.

If they will be confined to a run, you'll need at least 10 square feet/bird in the run, but I'd recommend more. If they'll routinely be allowed to free-range, 10 square feet/bird in the enclosed run is OK. Use 1/2" hardware cloth over the run and the coop window(s) to keep predators out.

Within the coop (where they'll be roosting), you'll need at least 4 square feet per bird. A 3 x 5 foot coop would be OK 3 or 4 birds, provided they had plenty of room to move around in the attached run, and provided the internal space is not taken up by nest boxes. In this case, nest boxes would be mounted on the outside of the coop, with a door you'd lift to collect eggs. If you're looking at getting more birds, see the coop plan in Damerow's book.

Nest boxes are typically 12x12 inches (and about 10" high). You'll need 1 nest box for every 3-4 hens. However, even for a small flock of 4 hens, I'd plan on 2 nest boxes to give them a choice.

Roost bars - use wood 2 by 2's or 2 by 4's, with the edges sanded. If using 2x4's, the widest part of the bar should be parallel to the ground. Allow at least 12 inches of roost space per bird. Mount roost bars about 18" off the coop floor in a location where roosting birds will not defecate in the nest boxes. In larger coops, many people mount roost bars in a step-wise fashion, with each bar about 15" above and 15" offset from the bar above and below.

Ramp - 8 to 12" wide with elevated strips every 6 to 8" (for traction). A 30 degree angle (or less) is probably most comfortable for them.

Hope this gets you off to a good start. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!

Back
Top Bottom