looking for opinions on breeds

Sunkhaze Farm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
I am looking to add to my flock of 21 hens. I live in northern Maine and the climate is cold so it has to be a hearty breed. I sell my eggs so good egg producer is also a must. Any thoughts on what breed I should look into??

My favorite breed are buff orpingtons!
love.gif

Last edited:
We have Black Australorps and they are very docile. My daughter often catches them and carries them around. I actually caught her trying to smuggle one into the house once :) We have no Roosters, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not with the hens. The breeder I got my girls from said her Black Australorp Rooster is very aggressive when approached.

Also, they lay like crazy!! An egg a day without fail. Nice large brown eggs. My girls are only 6 months old and are laying perfect eggs daily :)

Good luck!!!

I live in PA, and we get some pretty cold winters. I have raised the typical Barred Rock, Australorp, Orpington, and do NOT recommend them. Yes, they will live through the winter, but they will not be comfortable. You need a bird with a small comb/wattles. Smaller combs/wattles means less heat loss through the head, as well less chances of frostbite.

The following egg layers are more suitable for cold winters.
Rosecomb Ancona, Ameraucanas, Buckeyes, Brahma, Chanteclers, Dominiques, Rosecomb Dorking, Easter Egger, Hamburg, Rosecomb Leghorn, Rosecomb Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte, and Russian Orloff.

The New Hampshire Reds, White Wyandottes, Australorps and Barred Rocks we have handle the New England weather just fine. Even the weekend of the February 2013 blizzard we received a bunch of eggs. I would have to say that the NH Reds are the bossiest of the group.

I have 12 Naked Necks. One is setting 8 eggs now. Very hardy and lay well. I live in north Louisiana and they do well in the hot summers hear. They are one year old. I set 32 eggs in bator. Hatched 25 April 2nd and all are fine. Gental chickens and protective Roo.

Anything common or popular will do, but pea combed and rose combed birds do best.

Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Chantecelers. . .

And then there's common breeds who seem to do well wherever you raise them -

Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Production Reds, Australorps . . .

Back
Top Bottom