Looking for Smooth Splits Without the Silkie Look

NewBreeder

Chirping
Feb 21, 2012
Massachusetts
I am not sure if this is the proper place to start this thread but here goes.

I see multiple silkie crosses being made.

I am looking for something a little different other than what is being produced

At first I thought a smooth split was a normal feathered bird with the hookless trait visible but not the
silkie feather traits other than the hookless gene visible.

Now as I understand a smooth split is a normal feather bird with the hookless gene but does not display that trait.

Does anyone have any birds that show the hookless trait without the silkie look?

In my opinion the feather type and shape has more going on in a silkie than just the hookless trait.

Many times for silkies the barbules count is less and much longer/wider than normal feathers in addition to the shape of them.

So if you have such birds could you let me know or let me know how to produce such a bird

Thanks

there is a thread on here about a silked americauna. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98335/whats-wrong-with-their-feathers

there are also silked sermas.
I have none of these but I have frizzled silkies (sizzles) and a smooth version which looks like a mini polish

I am not sure if this is the proper place to start this thread but here goes.

I see multiple silkie crosses being made.

I am looking for something a little different other than what is being produced

At first I thought a smooth split was a normal feathered bird with the hookless trait visible but not the
silkie feather traits other than the hookless gene visible.

Now as I understand a smooth split is a normal feather bird with the hookless gene but does not display that trait.

Does anyone have any birds that show the hookless trait without the silkie look?

In my opinion the feather type and shape has more going on in a silkie than just the hookless trait.

Many times for silkies the barbules count is less and much longer/wider than normal feathers in addition to the shape of them.

So if you have such birds could you let me know or let me know how to produce such a bird

Thanks

thanks I have been discussing this with other breeders here is a pic similar to what I am looking for

this is a non silkie type with the hookless gene visible as found at feathersite.com

Back
Top Bottom