Do silkies really look like this?

NewfoundMamaBird

Songster
Nov 18, 2022
Hi all,
A while back I hatched some silkies for someone. I bought mixed color eggs from someone who breeds bearded silkies only (although she told me she did once get a naked neck hatch and I think she said 2 of the extra eggs she put in were from a satin...but I never knew which actual eggs they were ). And I will start with, I know nothing about silkies and other than the ones I hatched have never actually seen one in person!
I hatched 10 wonderfully beautiful little unicorns out of 14 eggs, and with teary eyes, handed them over to their new home at about 1.5 weeks old.
I just received my first photo of a couple of them and I am floored. Is this what they normally look like at 5 weeks (less a day or two)? At what point do they fluff up and not look so gangly? Lol. Someone please tell me they are actually silkies! What color is that even? Lol
I am attaching the baby pics and the picture I just got now. They are going to send me more (better)photos on the weekend and I am dying to see what they all look like now!

Attachments

• received_694281025796393.jpeg
    received_694281025796393.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 152
  • png_20230511_092937_0000.png
    png_20230511_092937_0000.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 120
I think the ones I can see have silkie feathers. They should fluff up more, but may not be as fluffy as some. Depending on the background of the satin half her chicks or possibly all her chicks will not have silkie feathers.

It all depends on how they were bred. If there wasn't much attention to quality, silkies can definitely look like this. But they will fluff up considerably

I think the ones I can see have silkie feathers. They should fluff up more, but may not be as fluffy as some. Depending on the background of the satin half her chicks or possibly all her chicks will not have silkie feathers.
From the breeder, only the two extra eggs outside of the original dozen were from a satin hen. Sadly, I lost track of who was who when they went in the incubator. So it's possible 2 of the ten might be a satin/bearded silkie mix...I guess time will tell.

It all depends on how they were bred. If there wasn't much attention to quality, silkies can definitely look like this. But they will fluff up considerably
I am anxious to see pics as they grow. The breeder only breeds bearded silkies and has both specific color pens and a mixed color pen. But she has one satin hen and gave me two extra eggs from her on top of the full bearded dozen. The person I was hatching for wasn't particular so I didn't request specific colors. I was honestly amazed at the variety of colors that hatched 😀 And how flipping cute they were. It's hard to believe these awkward looking teenagers are those same fluffy little chicks. Lol

Back
Top Bottom