looking for someone to care for my chickens over the holidays.

I think it would be easiest if you could find a neighbor to come by & check on them at least once a day. While it may be possible to supply them with enough food/water for a week at a time, there's always Stuff that can happen and it would be best to have someone check on them daily. A neighbor who could just walk over could be easiest. Make their chicken chores as easy & simple as possible, allow them to take home all the eggs, and bring them a nice souvenir from your travels. Bon voyage!

Hello,

If you are absolutely at wits end I can take them for you. I live in Coos Bay, Oregon, about 2 hours SW of you; I have a coop that is 24 sq ft with a 64 sq ft run that is now occupied by 1 EE, 1 RIR, and 2 Astrolorps (I think?) hens. My chicken accomodations are clean and completely predator proof, and my birds show no signs of stress or disease; how about yours? I would have to put them all in here togethher. I let my birds free range during the weekends or when I'm home. Would you be able to supply additional feed? Also when are your dates of travel? My family and I will be in Seattle for Dec 28-Jan 2, with friends keeping an eye on the birds.

Check out my BYC page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=28831

Bryan
541-269-0638

I live in Redmond Oregon about 20 minute from Bend I wouldn't mind taking them in but I'm afraid we may be away from home a few days
that and I don't have a coop so I have no idea where I could put them I don't have my own yet T_T
the best I could do at night would be a huge dog crate
I'm gonna ask around see if I can find someone who can help you.

Thank you all for your replies. We still have not found anyone. Thanks to all of you who offered but are a little far out. We have to drive to portland to catch out flight so we won't have time to drive the girls anywhere too far. I will check with the 4H and see. I don't think our neighbors are real chicken people : (

I found an excellent pet sitter on Angie's List. She had no "chicken experience" but had been a vet tech and was willing to learn. I went over everything with her beforehand, and she has taken care of my birds and cats several times. I have been very pleased with her. I highly recommend Angie's List as a place to find someone reliable to do almost anything. People are rated good or bad by past customers and they know it will really kill their business to get a bad rating.

Yes you do have to pay to join, but to me it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

Good luck in your search. There ARE reliable, honest pet sitters out there!

try dog walkers/pet sitters
The lady who boards our dogs and watches our cats when we're gone also takes care of the chickens. She'd never done it before us but she enjoys it now.

Back
Top Bottom