If organic matters to you, there are organic feeds. They definitely are more expensive. Also some non-GMO feeds are out there.

I'm glad you posted that 95% of what she eats is her feed. Treats should be, well, just treats.

One thing about mealworms... they contain a lot of fat. So do black oil sunflower seeds (often referred to as "BOSS"). I would go easy on either of those for that reason, as it's hard to tell if a chicken is overweight. But the fat can accumulate around their inner organs and cause them serious health issues.
Ok thank you! I will definitely stop giving her that many mealworms. Besides from that, I also have been considering reaching out to my local vets and seeing if anyone offers care for chickens because I would love to get her a wellness checkup and I’m assuming they would be able to give me a more clear idea of her health. She is basically my daughter so I will do anything, it can just be difficult sometimes to get proper information on chickens because a lot of the time people treat with the bare minimum amount of care. I appreciate the time you took out of your day to respond, Thank you again :)

So I have a 3 year old indoor splash cochin and she is my absolute baby:love. I always try my best to make sure she is staying as healthy as possible but theres no limits to improvement. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for better food than the one I’m using for her now (Pictures attached) So her basic feed is the Purina omega-3 layer pellets (she does lay eggs daily) and this is the food she has 24/7 access to. Then each morning I give her usually 3-6 mealworms from the brand “The Honest Worm!” (Picture attached). then finally sometimes if she wants to scratch around outside/inside we sprinkle some of the ManaPro treats (either garden delight, or harvest delight depending on what we have at the time). She has occasionally has boiled egg or chicken safe fresh vegetables/fruit as a treat (although she is picky). Overall I know this may seem more than enough to most people but I just want what’s best for her, and if anyone knows of a feed thats healthier id love to hear your recommendations! (I will also attach some pictures of her, her name is pearls :)) Thank you so much for any help!
Oyster shells or maybe a cooked egg every now and then for extra protein if needed, you have such a beautiful chicken, doing so well!

Back
Top Bottom