Looking to get a parrot. Advice needed =)

Congrats on your new parrot I think you chose well with a small parrot for your first one.. You will be so happy with it. Ringnecks can be quite flighty and very loud. I breed them. My favourite parrot i have had of all time was a quaker parrot. He was somewhat noisy but one of the best talkers you would find around. He was killed by a snake ealier in the year.We have king parrots that are wild here and they come down for seeds. They have great personalities too.

Last edited:
Congrats on your friends,
Hey did you know that you can train the youngest, with a Hamster wheel? They love it, supervised only but you can get a large metal wheel its really fun.you can leave it where your friend is untill they get used yo it and show them that it moves SUPERVISEDbecause they can get their wing or head caught in it.also if you have a small tennis ball they can balanced thenselves on them its really fun to show them.
you tube I believe has clips of lovebirds on hamster wheel.:D

Thanks!
The hamster wheel thing is a great idea! Already have one from a previous hamster pet (lived until she was 5 then kicked the bucket lol).
Blue was taught how to step up and enjoy scratches and cuddles so its a pretty good start. I make noises and she tries to repeat them. Very entertaining for me haha

well i think that a handfed one is better, but i guess its just the amount of time ur willing to spend and train one... and for kids? well if you socialize the parrot with everyone the the kids can handle it too or even care for it....I've raise and handfed cockatiels and im looking for an indian ringneck too....;)) ive research a lot but i just cant seem to find one

So decided to get a lovebird!
Here's some pictures
smile.png

This is "Little Blue" or "baby blue bird" as my 3 year old calls him/her. Will be getting Blue DNA sexed at some point to maybe find a friend later on. Blue is almost 3months old and we got him/her from a really great lovebird breeder in the area. Blue is VERY tame and I'm really happy I started out with a little bird
smile.png
Blue is going to be very spoiled!!

Congrats :)

I think love birds can be sexed by the feeling the pelvis. Worth googling. If it is an obvious male/female from the pelvis you might save yourself some money in the DNA sexing.
I havn't tamed, reared a love bird but have other small parrots so happy to help if you have any birdie behavioural questions :)

Thanks a bunch!
The DNA testing only cost me $13.65 including taxes so it was worth it to have it done. Was pretty easy to do and didn't get any nips in the process :D haha.

It was just a small blood sample. Clip one of the toe nails a bit shorter to get the quick, put a few drops on a sample card, wait for it to dry then send it in. Was pretty easy to do and didn't really phase her at all. They do feather samples as well but you have to pull out at least 5 or 6 chest feathers to send in. I thought that would be more stressful to her.
Either way I just wanted to know for the sake of knowing.. Not looking to get a male at this point but maybe later on down the road. Still hoping to get a ring neck in the future when I've got more bird experience!

Back
Top Bottom