Loosing chicks daily since arrival

SGH

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
I’m loosing chicks almost daily, here is what’s going on.

These are a hatchery order, hatch date of October 30th. I received them 9:30 am 2 days later on November 1st.

Open opening box, I noticed 3 of the 4 compartments of chicks were very lethargic. I had 2 dead chicks
arrival.
Brooder is large swimming pool inside a climate controlled room kept at 78 degrees. I have 2 heat lamps with 75 watt bulbs. They are regulated and kept at 95 degrees. I have wifi sensors under both lights that alert me if temp is not correct.

Brooder was set up and ready to go. Shavings on bottom covered with paper towels first few days.

I noticed they had a hard trip and some felt cold to the touch. Upon arrival I dipped beaks in warm water and bumped up one heat lamp to 100 since they were huddling so much. After they warmed up temp went back to 95. They are eating non medicated starter. The chicks were provided Save A Chick first 2 days, along with regular water.

I’ve lost a couple chicks per day. I’ve lost 9 and see another one on its way out. The chicks are 6 days old now. And I’ve had them 4 days.

I’m dealing with some pasty butt on about 5-6 chicks and cleaning that at least twice a day.

I did check weather the evening they shipped and unfortunately the low was 24 degrees where they originated from. Yikes. We are much warmer here in AZ.

my questions is…. Is this just a hard trip and what to expect; or do I have something else going on?

Any ideas on what I can do?

The last 2 chicks I’ve lost lay under the heat lamps, weak and panting. Absolutely look overheated. I dip their beaks in water a few times and help hydrate, but hasn’t helped. I’ve tried moving them away from heat, but they go back. At the point I’m noticing this, I believe they are already too far gone.

I’d also like to add I have other chicks in a brooder (from a different hatchery and didn’t have the hard trip) right next to them 4 days older and completely healthy. Haven’t lost one. All on the same shavings and eating the same feed, so I don’t think that could be cause.

Hatchery guarantee is only first 48 hours. I don’t understand why I’m still loosing chicks. What can I do?

Attachments

• D0ED0712-D933-404F-9053-04F18BB87C0D.jpeg
    D0ED0712-D933-404F-9053-04F18BB87C0D.jpeg
    824.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 8141D2FC-6B49-499D-82AE-C99ECBA153AD.jpeg
    8141D2FC-6B49-499D-82AE-C99ECBA153AD.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Brooder looks fine for a larger group, I like that you have 2 heat spots with some space in between so chicks can adjust their temperatures as needed. My guess is just a rough trip. Weather might be warm for you but it's freezing in other parts of the US, and obviously was at the hatchery, so shipping was going to be rough on them no matter what.

I assume it was Sav-a-chick electrolytes that you were using? Might want to pick up some Poultry Nutri Drench and have that in their water for a few days just as a pick me up and to help get extra vitamins in their system, but you may still be losing chicks if some of them just had a harder time in shipping than others.

Back
Top Bottom