Losing Chickens. Help!!!

lizzbitt

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
Southern Louisiana
Hi,
I am new to the BYC community & am in desperate need of help. I have lost several chickens over past week and lost a few a couple weeks past. The first losses were birds around 20 weeks old. The vet diagnosed the problem as genetic and we thought that was the end. They had wing &/or leg paralysis. Sometimes toes would curl, legs woukd end in split. However, of the 4 we lost, 1 simply died. We thought it coincidence or perhaps the heat (they were Cream Legbars) (I must add that one did lose vision and died weeks later. We again (foolishly) thought it was a coincidence)
Now, we are losing chickens again. This time they are growing rapidly listless, some have eyes that seem to seal shut (often oozing in appearance). I have done some research and it frighteningly looks like Marek's :^(
I love my girls and don't want to lose anymore. Those losses recently have been aged 8-12 & 14-16 weeks of age. All different breeds. Black Copper Maran, Wyandotte & Americanas (my sweet Eagle Scouts). I must also mention that we had a rooster, brother to BCM we lost, his eyes grew crusty and closed then it dropped off and he's doing great (??)
Can someone offer sound advice on anything I can do ? Is this mereks? How do I stop losing birds ? I'm worried bc the first losses occurred about 3 months ago.... if marek's, can I assume all are exposed . Please help me save my girls!!
Thanks in advance,
Lizzy

This is so dreadful! I am do sotry for your loss.
I hope someone can help you. Very sad :(
I hope so too. I've lost 3 this past week alone :^( I love my girls and have older birds but have never experienced anything like this. It's awful. I appreciate your concern. I pray someone has some advice.

@lizzbitt

I'm very sorry you are having trouble. Without testing, there's no way to know what you are dealing with. Some of the symptoms you describe sounds like you may have Marek's, but you need confirmation.

What treatments have you tried so far?
Did the vet perform tests (fecal float, gram stain) or send any samples in for testing?
Where are you located?

State labs will accept birds shipped to them. I don't know where you are located, so can't look up your lab to help you out. Here's a list to get you started.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

This is general directions on how to send a bird for necropsy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

@lizzbitt

I'm very sorry you are having trouble. Without testing, there's no way to know what you are dealing with. Some of the symptoms you describe sounds like you may have Marek's, but you need confirmation.

What treatments have you tried so far?
Did the vet perform tests (fecal float, gram stain) or send any samples in for testing?
Where are you located?

State labs will accept birds shipped to them. I don't know where you are located, so can't look up your lab to help you out. Here's a list to get you started.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

This is general directions on how to send a bird for necropsy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

Thank youfor responding! I'm about an hour(ish) out of baton rouge, LA where nearest testing is... I think. I'll look at links you sent. Much appreciated.
So far I haven't done much. The realization that the vet was wrong has only come recently as all chickens previously were same breed & we were told it was a genetic disorder (the leg / wing paralysis) Then about a couple months pass and now chickens are either growing listless, lethargic and dying or growing crusty/leaky eyes and dying within a day or 2 & a couple have just died with no prior symptoms.
I went ahead and took cautions as tho it were marek's and have isolated birds I've seen have symptoms. A couple have made it thru.... we've gone 3 days now w no losses -
Anyway, it's rained and rained so cleaning coop has been very hard but I've done what I can and laid lots od new chips in coop , cleaned all water & food contsiners, sleeping quarters - I'm wondering now if adding more chips was a mistake
I've added and it's rained,I've added again and more rain. Rain rain rain.

Did the vet give a name to the genetic disorder?

He did not. He said he suspected a tear in her joint and that this was common amongst "designer" chickens. She (the first loss) was a Cream Legbar. ... so when 2 others had the same thing happened to the others (all related - sisters) we assumed they had the same genetic issues and weren't a hearty breed. One wentry blind. We assumed coincidence bc she lived for over a month after losing her sight. She did so well finding food and water we even wondered if she'd always had poor vision...
Then I saw other birds go blind (eyes seeming to seal shut) and they have died within a day or so....
Is there something else that could cause an eye to seal shut? I have a younger girl whom I noticed ( day before yesterday ) has an eye that has sealed shut. Looks clean. I see a small redish line that could be a svratch but I can't be sure. There was slight leakage the first day, none the second. Still closed on day 3 but unlike other birds whon have closed eyes (the birds that went blind) this is only one eye and she is lively as ever. Playing in fact. ?? I've been very lucky and have never dealt with any illnesses before and feel clueless and helpless

Back
Top Bottom