Losing hope with chicks that hate me šŸ˜£

For a friendlier breed, if you want to add more in the future, I recommend Orpingtons. I have two generations of Orpingtons and they are all awesome! Calm and friendly. Also, I highly recommend handling chicks right from the start, and handling them a LOT. Even if they protest at first. My current batch resisted when they were younger, but I held each to my chest and talked softly to them until they calmed down. Repeat 3-4 times a day with each chick, and the repeat exposure dulls their sense of alarm as they see thereā€™s no danger. Scrambled eggs out of my hand went a long way, too. Their first trip outside, they were terrified, and I was their only familiar thing in this new environment, so they flocked to me for comfort. It really helped us bond.

I donā€™t know how much any of this will help with older chicks. You gotta start them young, and handle the crap out of them. But repeat exposure really works, so spend as much time as you can with them, and theyā€™ll get used to you eventually. Or, if you are set on pet chickens and not opposed to the idea, eat these and start over with hatchlings, with friendlier breeds, and extensive handling from the start. Good luck!

When my CA White (Leghorn mix) was a chick, she was very flighty. She would do all she could to avoid being touched or picked up. I found this quite disheartening and irritating, but I knew Leghorns are a flighty breed and just hoped for the best. Fast forward two years, she has definitely gotten better about being picked up. I think it improved when she started laying, as others have mentioned. She will never like being touched or petted (always backs away) and still has flighty instincts (probably not a bad thing), but she no longer runs for her life and makes me chase her around the yard to "go home" in the evening. She'll actually run around after me, because I have done a bit of clicker training with her (with yummy treats - freeze-dried worms and birdseed) and she knows I am a source of very good things. She is the most intelligent of my five chooks. :love

So like other have said, I would just give it time. And if you have some really good treats (moderate quantities, of course), you could try first putting some in their brooder, and then eventually attempting hand-feeding on a flat palm (let them come to you). Starting this when they are young definitely helps build positive associations with you. Best of luck with your chickies! :)

It sounds like it is fear, probably from the evening round up being frightening to them.
In the am I give my chickens their laying food, then later in the day Iā€™ll toss them some cracked corn or special treats like watermelon, pumpkin, and so on.
I release them from their run late afternoon to free range and run around and have some space.
If I want them to return early, before they would usually come in to roost, I ply them with the ultimate treat-dried mealworms!
I keep the mealworms in a small galvanized trash can. Wow! Those girls come running when they hear that lid clanging about as I open it.
Iā€™ll toss a small handful into their run to get them back in the safety of the run. They go to their henhouse on their own usually at the call of the rooster.
Oh, yes, I have a couple of treat toys I fill up with the mealworms once they are secured in the run. They chase the toys around inside the run pecking at the little worms sticking out the holes.
No need to chase, less overall stress for all of you. They come to expect their special treats and are happier!
Sorry! I mis read your concerns. A few mealworms with toys in their tractor might get them to and from without having to get them in yourself.
I hope you forgive my oops!
Regards...

Last edited:
I have an EE who was TERRIFIED of people. I don't really know why, but if you even looked at her she would run away, screaming. I thought she would just always be like that, but once she started laying eggs, she calmed down. She is still not the friendliest chicken, but I can pick her up without her freaking out.
I think you just need to give your chickens time. They are going through their juvenile molts now, so they probably don't really want to be touched anyway.
Once they start laying, they'll most likely get friendlier. You just need to be patient. Sit with them, offer treats, talk in a clam voice. Don't try to touch them or pick them up. Let them come to you.
I bribe them with mealworms. Sit on the ground, Put a few in your hand, replace after someone eats the first few. Repeat. And then repeat in a few days. Not everyone gets friendly, but most do. Remember, mealworms are like passing out sugar cubes, so let repetition do the trick, not lots in one sitting.

the advice so far to try to let them be is the best approach, picking them up often to move to a tractor will freak them out. And unfortunately like it has been said they learn from each other and copy each others behaviors.

If you can just get one to trust you that would already help in showing the others it's safe.
But the way you would do this should be opposite to your instinct. Your instint will be to pick it up and pet it. Don't do this.

Instead do what you said your husband did with your first lot of chicks that ended up trusting you. Have them watch you build a coop.

So do something around them that does not directly involve them, but at the same time they are watching you do something.

I find cleaning the coop is also an exercise that if done correctly will expose the chickens to you working around them without paying any attention to them directly. If you work slowly with them about it can get them used to you, wheras if you pick them up and move them to clean the coop they will be freaked out and won't get to see you work. I do still move my chicks to do a big clean out if I have to but having them be able to watch people for a few hours every day is the best medicine. Trying to get them used to you by handling them at an early age will just freak them out. Don't think that you can never pick them up, I do quite often but often is relative.Generaly I top up the feed and water daily, do a little clean out once a week and maybe pick them up once in 2 weeks. That would be my "often" I suppose.

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over......

I know this has been discussed several times on here ( mostly because I have read the threads and articles myself), and I hate to make just one more post about it, but I am having an internal chicken crisis. Kinda long, sorry.

I LOVE having chickens. We got our first flock Rhode Island Red chicks about 5 years ago. They loved us from the start. I had very young children at the time who the chicks took well to also. They even sat on my husbands shoulders while he was roofing their coop! Sadly we introduced new chickens that had a disease and lost our flock. It was awful.

Now, about two years later we are starting over with new chicks. We have 6 silver laced wyandottes, 6 easter eggers, and 6 black copper marans. All straight-run and 5 weeks old. These chicks hate us. We started them in a raised brooder so we don't tower over them. We reach for them from the side never from the top. We offer them treats, talk gently, walk slowly. Nothing works. I have moved them to the big coop with their mama heating pad if they need it. I let them graze in a chicken tractor in the day. However getting them into the tractor is a NIGHTMARE. The easter eggers are by far the worst acting as if I'm going to kill them. The others follow suit. The black copper marans are the friendliest, but at a fraction of our previous rhode island reds. I squat and reach slowly. I sit with them (slightly ignoring them or simply holding treats for whoever wants to come), but if one accidentally grazes my arm you'd think I had swung a bat at them. They never willingly come up to an empty hand or sit on our laps even if not being touched. I'm doing everything I can think of but they are relentless :he I know they are still young, but I do not see them making any kind of dramatic change in the future.

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... šŸ˜£

My problem right now is internal. These chicks are not enjoyable at all. I feel like they are crushing my chicken loving joy :hitYes I could watch them all day just doing what chickens do and thoroughly enjoy it, but knowing they view me as the enemy kinda ruins it for me. Any strategies for stubborn, terrified chicks that are hard to break? At what age do they usually "come around"? I almost feel like raising these for meat and starting over....... šŸ˜£
I would suggest you spend a lot of time around them..once they will get comfortable with your presence they will come around..my baby chicks follow me wherever i go..thats mainly because they rarely are alone..if by chance i leave them alone they start making loud noises as if to tell where did i go? At first they didnt like me picking them up or anything and used to run away upon approaching..but now they love me..they sit in my lap..on my head..on my shoulders..wherever they like..just a little attention to make them used to your presence will definitely help.

I think you have to start handling them very young if you want friendly birds! My guineas don't trust people and never will but they don't fear me it's more of a respect thing with them. Now my chickens just love me,follow me around,jump all over me,peck at my shoes-some will perch on my knees and take a nap!! And I'm kinda scary to look at!! Attention and especially food is what they crave-you need to spend time with them(if you have it). Feed em by hand-let them come to you and take their snacks...

Back
Top Bottom