losing my girls

Chicks Away

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
I went out this morning to check on the girls and found one of my Barred Rocks had died in the night. she was only 3. the day prior she was active, vocal and social. Late this afternoon one of my Rhode Island Reds is lethargic, thirsty, labored breathing and a loose runny stool. I have given her electrolytes but other than that I'm not sure what to do.
I have called numerous vets in the area and none want to deal with chickens. I'm at a loss. Her crop feels fine. In fact the other hens were much larger from eating all day. I know it's not much info but it's all I have. any ideas?

Google for an Avian Vet in your area. Usually there's one around... they deal only with birds.

I went out this morning to check on the girls and found one of my Barred Rocks had died in the night. she was only 3. the day prior she was active, vocal and social. Late this afternoon one of my Rhode Island Reds is lethargic, thirsty, labored breathing and a loose runny stool. I have given her electrolytes but other than that I'm not sure what to do.
I have called numerous vets in the area and none want to deal with chickens. I'm at a loss. Her crop feels fine. In fact the other hens were much larger from eating all day. I know it's not much info but it's all I have. any ideas?
Unfortunately all the symptoms that you listed are shared by every poultry ailment on this planet.

There is little or nothing that you can do to "cure" chickens.

About the only cure is time and to let time work its' magic you need to support the chicken (help keep it from dying) with TLC.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom