Loss of feathers and dirty back ends

Redrosecove

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
Valley Falls, NY
I have been noticing a loss of feathers on half of my hens butts but no where else all the hens that loss feathers had to be cleaned due to being covered in poop. They all are eating fine and drinking no noticeable change in their behaviors. I also haven’t noticed any pecking or any behaviors of that sort. I let them free range and supplement with feed. I also have been cleaning the coop extra just to make sure it’s not a sanitary issue. I will get a picture tomorrow if that is needed to find a solution. Thank you in advance for any help. This is my first flock so I do not want to be neglectful out of ignorance.

Could be plucking at night. Do you have enough room on the roosts for the number of chickens you have?
I do and I thought maybe I was mistaken on having enough room so I split them into two groups at night to cut down on the number of birds in one area for a week and it still got worse as the week went on.

I know it’s rough but This is how they look in the mornings before I clean them up. ( when I first noticed them getting dirty like that I was afraid it was a fungal issue and did epson salt and Betadine soaks before cleaning them up) I was hesitant to post a picture because I feel like it makes it seems like my birds live in filth 😅 which I promise they do not.

Attachments

• 3147C508-9562-4B2F-91AA-B6193E4A1526.jpeg
    3147C508-9562-4B2F-91AA-B6193E4A1526.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 14
I know it’s rough but This is how they look in the mornings before I clean them up. ( when I first noticed them getting dirty like that I was afraid it was a fungal issue and did epson salt and Betadine soaks before cleaning them up) I was hesitant to post a picture because I feel like it makes it seems like my birds live in filth 😅 which I promise they do not.
Did you ever figure this out? My girls have the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom