lost 10 out of 16 of our chickens!

evhammond1200

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Canaan, NH
We had to leave town for a couple days to go to my grandmothers funeral. While we were gone a friend was taking care of our animals and our chickens. Something broke threw our chicken wire and killed 10 of our birds not sure what it was for a culprit, hole in fence wasn't that big! I'm going to strengthen the fence and I got an electric fence charger to run electric on the outside of our run! Our chickens were 10 weeks old of course as Murphy's law would have it all of our favorite ones were killed my seven year old daughter was crushed we had an araucana and that was her favorite one she would come to her and even sit on her shoulder! We lost all but 2 buff orps and 4 red sexlinks.We lost silver spangled hamburg, partridge Cochin, araucana, barred rocks, silver laced wyandottes, and a buff orp! This is the first time since I was a little kid to have chickens. Never thought that we would get so attached to chickens like we have!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Chicken wire isn't very good at keeping predators out.

+100 on the electric fence. Wire is cheap and animals really hate being shocked.

I'm sooo sorry about your loss. This happened to me last year when I went away for a few days. I cried for a long time about those girls. But you live and learn- My coop is now fort knox- nothing has gotten in since I reinforced it! Its best to examine how they got in and don't let it happen again, as the predators always come back!

That's rotten, so sorry. Adding the hot wire is an excellent choice, I've had very good results with that. I put one up even though I have the hardware cloth wire on my coop, just as added insurance.

I just mentioned to someone here recently about predators being able to break thru chicken wire quite easily, they didn't believe me.
hmm.png
I hope they see this thread. Thanks for sharing your storey.

I'm so sorry - it's hard loosing birds.
hugs.gif

Chicken wire just isn't predator proof. I can't tear through the stuff with my bare hands, but it seems predators can get through it pretty easily. Electric fencing is good, and so is some nice welded wire or hardware cloth!

I'm really sorry.
Probably won't work,but I am in oregon.
Where are you located?
If we are close, I will give you some replacements.

Sorry about the loss of your chickens. As I was reading your post, I couldn't help but think about how I would feel if something like that happened to my chickens. I know I would cry. I have gotten very attached to mine also. I let mine out of their pen everyday, but I am right by them the entire time. I see hawks flying around quite often so I am protective. I only use chicken wire for their pen. I think I better look into getting something to go with it for added protection.

Quote:
I went with galv metal fence with 1 & 1/2 inch holes any addition to my pen from now on will have 1 inch holes or smaller!

Everyone will be happy to know that I have the most powerful fence charger my local feed store sells. Any future predator will have a bit more work to kill any more of my chickens! I am running wire fence around our pen only a few inches apart charger is rated for 30 miles of wire so I'm sure I can run as much around our pen as I want. We also found a local seller were we got a few of our chickens from a few weeks ago we called and he still had a few close in age to the ones we have so we added 7 back to our flock and we added a rooster to our flock maybe he will defend or at least give warning that something is happening?

Back
Top Bottom