Lost 4 chickens in 2 days, help!!!

SwedishFlower13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
RI
I *had* 11 4 month old American Bresse outside in a coop and when I went out to feed them a day ago, one looked sick. I made arrangements to get her inside, but when I went back out to get her, she was dead. The next morning (yesterday) 2 more were dead in the coop, the rooster I was going to keep and a hen. Then this morning, another looked sick and I brought him in immediately and held him over the wood stove for 10 minutes to warm him up. I left him perched on a log behind the stove while I finished my chores and he was dead when I came back in. Starting to freak out here. Have 2 other coops of chickens and they are doing fine. No idea what's going on. Are they freezing to death?

Sorry for your losses - it's unlikely they are dying of cold. Having said that, its' hard to guess at what is killing them. Since you have 4 birds that have died, I would strongly suggest getting a necropsy done. It may be expensive but it will give you some idea of what the problem is.
sad.png

Not taking any chances, brought the remaining 7 inside the house for the week...it's going into the negative digits tomorrow night. They look perfectly healthy, eating ALOT and drinking normally...poop looks normal.

Sorry for your loss. Csn you describe your coop size and type, what you feed, and if any have have symptoms of coccidiosis including lethargy, diarrhea, standing around puffed up with a poor appetite? I would check the feed for mold or anything out of the ordinary, look for any toxins, such asbotulism which comes from eating a dead animal or fish carcass or vegetation that has been buried or without air. A necropsy by your state vet on a dead bird should be done if you los another.

Last edited:
Their coop is pretty small, about 3 1/2-4' x 6-7', it's on the ground like a chicken tractor with part of it as a run. I've been feeding Green Mountain organic broiler crumbles, made into a hot mash with water. Finally got ahold of the organic scratch (it was sold out everywhere for weeks) and I'm now mixing that in as well. Not a single bird has died since I've brought them inside, and can't put them back out yet since it'll be -7 tomorrow night. Some of my poor adult roosters out there are getting frostbitten combs and waddles, have to smear them with chicken salve twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom