Lost 4 mabey 5 birds today

irisheyes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
We were working around the house today and went to collect eggs. One of our white chickens was in the coop on the perch and not in the nest box middle of the day. I thought man thats weird , collected the eggs and went back to work.

Around 3 o clock we took a break so I let the girls give the chickens some treats. We kiss loud to the chickens to let them know its treat time. Only two answered to the call which I thought was even more weird. I went to check on the white bird and she was still on perch.. So now my interest is peaked. I open the big door to the coop and see that she has been beat up bad on her back.

I go looking thru the woods and find feather from 3 of the 4 colors of chickes we have but no carcass. From the damage to the white chicken I concluded that an owl or hawk hit her pretty hard. I can see one or two but I am down 4 in one day. Dont know if the white one will make it. I did my best to dr. her up..

Anyone loose this many to other birds at one shot?

So sorry to hear about your birds
hugs.gif

That many lost all at the same time is not typical of an attack from a bird of prey. I would be more inclined to think fox, coyote, bobcat or dog. Be prepared because the predator will return.

The question I have to ask is how are your chickens protected
from predators?

How are they enclosed during the day? Are they exposed to hawks or nighttime
dangers?

Only keeping them enclosed in some way during the day and certainly at night
will you keep your chickens safe and not lose more.

Remember, you don't want your pets to be bait.

sounds like a dog. put out a gamecam and see what happens. Dogs kill for sport and usually lose intrest after the bird stops moving.

Dog. We caught a dog in the act. They just kill and go on to the next. The injured survivors all had lots of damage to their backs. They all survived.

Back
Top Bottom