lost a chick today

burgerusmc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
harford county, MD
We have two 15 week RIR hens a black star and a roo. When my wife work up this morning she saw one of our dogs (the hound dog, not the lab) carrying a dead chicken in its mout that must have flown over the 4 ft tall fence.
I am debating about clipping their wings. Anyone have experience with this before? I am trying to weigh the pros and cons. Will they still be able to fly to the roosting bar? Thanks guys

Clipping their wings would be a good idea. It usually works, and they could probably get up to you roost. My roost is about 2ft high, and my hens can jump up to it without flying. Although, the clipping does not always work. If you have light birds (Leghorns and bantams) they might still be able to fly out even after the clipping.

I have all heavy breeds and my roosts and nesting boxes are over 2 feet off the ground and they have no trouble getting up there, I only clip one side. Good luck !

While clipping their wings might keep them from flying out, it will not stop predators from climbing or flying IN.It sounds like the birds are freely ranging in a run all day and night, and the run has no top. I would recommend you put a cover on the run and also lock your birds up at night to keep them safe from the many predators who love to dine on chicken.

Back
Top Bottom