Lost another one...

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
I let my girls out this morning and only 5 appeared, thought that was kind of strange and looked in. One of my silver laced wyandottes was on the coop floor dead. I am so bummed...I have no idea at all what happened
sad.png

Last edited:
Cheryl, I'm sorry you lost one of your girls. That happened to me too, recently, so I know how you feel. Looked in the run after I came home from work, and there she was, all laid out, dead. Most of the time, you never find out what caused it... Hope you feel better soon.

I recently found one of my own SLWs dead, no trauma, nothing visibly wrong with her at all. We did a layman's necropsy and did find a good bit of loose yolk in her abdomen so figured it was a reproductive related issue. Since then, her sister is not looking well, losing weight, has quit laying. I think cranking out eggs day after day their entire lives takes its toll. We often don't know what is going on in their precious little bodies. I'm sorry for your loss.

My girl was 8 months old so her life was pretty brief and there hadn't been that many eggs cranked out. She had just laid the day previous and seemed perfectly fine. I know they can just "drop" but it is pretty darn depressing! Truely I am fine, but one wonders...

Cheryl,

I'm sorry about your chicken. This also happened to my silver-laced wyandotte over the weekend.

I went out in the morning on saturday and she was just laying there under the roost. She was also 8 months old, and has a sister, who looks fine so far (they came from My Pet Chicken).

I do think one of the wyandottes was at the bottom of the pecking order, and both had had their feathers pecked by the easter egger. Maybe she was weak and the other birds could tell but I couldn't? (I also think one of them was responsible for all the double yokes from the last three weeks.)

Anyway, I'm sorry about your girl. It is a mystery.

Went out yesterday to let the girls out, one did not appear.
sad.png

I lost one of chickn's buff orps... Is it possible she froze, even though the rest are fine? She looked like she tucked in and went to sleep, except she roosted and this was not the case!!!

Back
Top Bottom