Lost feathers

tongy66086

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Hello all.

We used to have a rooster that pulled the feathers out of some of our hens.
I thought that if we got rid of the rooster, the feathers would grow back. But, they don't seem to be. Will the girls grow their feathers back? Is there anything I can do to promote feather growth? What precautions should I take with the upcoming winter?
Some of the girls had feather loss last winter, and made it just fine.
Thanks so much for your help.

Hello all.

We used to have a rooster that pulled the feathers out of some of our hens.
I thought that if we got rid of the rooster, the feathers would grow back. But, they don't seem to be. Will the girls grow their feathers back? Is there anything I can do to promote feather growth? What precautions should I take with the upcoming winter?
Some of the girls had feather loss last winter, and made it just fine.
Thanks so much for your help.
I bought a hen from a guy because she was his roosters favorite, and he thought it was funny. Half the feathers on her back were gone, and she was covered in scabs!! I never thought those feathers would grow back, and it took about two months, but now she has all of her feathers!!

Thank you for your reply.
The girls that were his favorites have had their feathers missing for about 10 months now, and I see no sign of anything new coming in.
Is there anything I can add to their feed to promote new growth?
Thank you so much for your help.

Do you know how old the hens are? Often the feathers don't grow back until the bird molts. Once they are about 18 months old they will usually molt once a year after that. When you see pin feathers coming in, then you will know they are growing. Depending on where you are in the world, molt is triggered by shortening daylight hours usually, so late summer, fall are the 'usual' times, but it's whenever the birds body says so. Some molt in the dead of winter. Upping the protein in their diet can help with feather growth, it takes lots of protein to make feathers, but it won't stimulate them to molt. A flock raiser or feather fixer type feed usually has more protein than a layer feed. So it's a waiting game for their bodies to decide it's time. If they are very bare you can use hen saddles to protect the bare back until they do grow feathers. www.hensaver.com
https://www.wideopenpets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-molting-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom