Lost my first chicken to snake

Quote:
Haha! I like your approach. I agree it would make a nice belt. Never made a belt out of a snake before but it would be cool to have a nice one with the macho "caught this one trespassing" story.

I really didn't mean to start an animal kill vs. relocate debate. I don't want to divulge his fate but I will say it's hard to feel bad killing a common rat snake when I occasionally butcher a chicken I've raised since day one.

Oh and to answer your question, no he didn't finish. He had the chick about half-way down but barfed it up with all the commotion my dog was making so he could attempt a getaway.

Here's one more pic after capture
23307_ranch_042409_015.jpg

I would kill it. I have no room for predators on my acreage. Just my opinion but a sincere one indeed. I absolutely do not brook snakes, raccoons, possums, etc. Sorry.

If you don't want to deal with predators then don't live where predators live. Find somewhere else to live.

In some instances killing the predator might be the correct thing to do. In other instances relocating might be the correct thing to do. Sometimes you just have to live with them.

You really should analyze each situation. Making blanket statements such as kill or don't relocate don't always apply.

And where do predators not live?...please let me know as I would be very intersted to find that such a place exists. I stand with my opinon and I do not brook predators on my property. Thank you.

Last year I had a very large snake come within 5 feet of my chicken door. I showed it on here. I just went out with something, I don't remember anymore what it was, and moved it until it went in the woods. I never saw it again. I decided it was here long before me and it was not up to me to kill it.

If I would of relocated it, it would have been in the woods on my land.

I like snakes, sorry. I want to move were there are no spiders. Now I hate them.

And everyone remember the rules.
wink.png

Quote:
THere is our problem, just look at Florida as a example. More and more people move there, hundreds of housing developments a build without a care towards the local wildlife. Folks want to life out in the country where its quiet , but they dont like dealing with the little farm and wild lift. The farmer is forced out of business, his land is bulldozed and the animals that survived are forced to rund for their lives. I hate when people complain about gators in their yard . Its Florida, if there is a lake there is a gator.

We have to lern to live with the wildlife, they have been there before us. Its not their fault that humans put a golf course and wir strip where they used to life.

I have a 4-5 foot "Everglades Racer" snake living under my rear deck area maybe about 150 feet from my house and a little more from the chicken coop. I thought about killing it like I have done quite a few times when finding snakes, remember this is South Florida! I happened to do some online research and found this type of snake is more interested in eating bugs, mice, rats and frogs then chickens. Anyway so far it's pretty well behaved, no missing chickens, eggs, nor family members...
big_smile.png

I will kill it if it becomes a threat to our animals or property but for now its a free mouse trap and hopefully a rodent deterent.

KILL IT!

There are plenty more. This one commited the capitol offense by eating one of your chickens so as punishment it should be killed by its natural predator, us. Just me talking, so please nobody jump on the hate wagon. We all have a right to our own opinion and this is mine, and I respect yours

vortec

Back
Top Bottom