Lost over half in 24 hours!!

You provided new information while I was typing. It sounds like shipping stress if it took five days. Call the hatchery and tell them what happened. They probably have a policy to cover this. Once they leave the hatchery it is on the carrier, post office or airline they use for shipping, but the hatchery will often try to help.

My suggestion is to use a medicine dropper and put some energy and liquid in the remaining chicks. I use hummingbird liquid but sugar water can work really well. You can buy stuff with electrolytes if you have time, but you don't have time to spare.

Put a drop on the tip of the beak and let them swallow it, don't drown them by forcing it down their throat. Good luck, this is rough.

I feel so sorry for you. How traumatic for you and your children! A should-be happy event has gone all wrong!

Because you are so experienced raising chicks, I would suspect that this problem started at the hatchery. Time of year could have a lot to do with these terrible deaths also.

Take a look here at US National Library of Medicine article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6730331

"It was found that the basic reasons for the morbidity and mortality of chicks in the first days following hatching were: the eggs chosen for hatching were of a lower biologic value due to deficient feeding... "

I am sure someone here will help identify the cause.

I am not trying to bad mouth Meyers or any other hatchery. But in the meantime, I would call Meyers IMMEDIATELY and explain the trauma you are going through and demand a full refund. I would NOT accept a replacement shipment. That doesn't help much -- but most hatcheries won't refund your purchase unless you report very quickly.

The only positive I can see is this can be a learning experience for your kids. Life is fragile and messy-- and the best-laid plans don't always workout. (I would also be sure to get them to talk about it as much as possible.)

No matter how tough or experienced you are, watching baby chicks die under your watch, one after another, is more than upsetting, baffling, and a little heartbreaking.

Just wondering, did you use a thermometer to check the heat level?

I'll be honest, I didn't. I just set it up like normal and put my hand under the light, directly under the bedding to make sure it wasn't too hot.

Try to think what you did differently. It’s not your first rodeo, your set-up has worked before. So something has to be different.

My first thoughts go to poison. Is it a new lamp bulb that is burning off a coating that creates a poisonous vapor? Is there something about the bedding that could cause this, maybe did it absorb something from where it was stored? Is the brooder in a new location? A few years back someone had a similar problem and found out the feed was tainted. Their kids had fed the chicks something they should not have. Is the water OK? Did you use a cleaner that left fumes, either in the brooder or just in the area? In some ways this sounds like it could be fumes, maybe start thinking along those lines.

There are other things besides poison of some type that could cause this, but with the ones I can think of they would not be acting the way you describe. They’d be in distress and showing it. I can’t tell you what is different this time, just that it sure sounds like something is. Good luck on figuring it out.

I thought that too. I washed out the tub out with water before using it, and I actually bought a new feeder and waterer. Water is from our tap. Feed is new (sealed) and bedding was new (sealed). The kids have actually been quarantined b/c they had a stomach bug yesterday. The only thing that is being reused is the heat lamp.

Only other possible thing i can think of that with meyer hatchery had problem badly with this year is cocci friend got chicks from there most died days later due to cocci
When I first read this post, that thought crossed my mind too but then the shipping time got posted. I think it's probably shipping stress and they got chilled, too!

Oh wow! FIVE days? that IMO is the reason for your problem this time of year. WAY too long! I raised 22 chicks this year from Murray McMurray. Four are Australorps. They were all tough and hardy. Breed should not matter.

5 days is an extremely long time for chicks to ship. This could be the results of the shipping time. I'd contact where or who you got them from and explain it to them...they should have been shipped overnight/one day express, etc....maybe get replacements sent or a refund? Hope things work out for you!

Yes. This is probably going to be my last time purchasing chicks like this.

Well, I can see why you wouldn't want to go through this again but most hatcheries have policies, contengencies for these situtations. I would still contact them...also, if you have Nutri-Drench available, I'd administer some to the remaining chicks. It's saved many of my chicks.

I would call Meyer to find out if other shipments are having the same problem. They are a reputable business and need to know, whether or not they agree to replace your chicks. Treat for cocci in case the others have not progressed to showing symptoms.

I would call Meyer to find out if other shipments are having the same problem. They are a reputable business and need to know, whether or not they agree to replace your chicks. Treat for cocci in case the others have not progressed to showing symptoms.
Coccidiosis can't be an issue.. Chicks are too young...

Back
Top Bottom