We lost a chick…

blessyourheart

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2023
Y’all idk what happened. A neighbor got about 20 chicks from Meyers, hatched Monday. I got 8 from her Friday. They did great Friday night and Saturday. I ordered a heat plate and switched the lamp for the plate last night. I heard LOUD peeping at 3:30 am and went to check them and one had died UNDER the plate. Idk what happened? Was it because I switched their heat? I panicked, removed dead chick, plate, and put them back under a light. I’m worried though that they’re either too hot or too cold. “Cool side” of tank is 82. Warm side is 96. Some sleep dog piled, some sleep face down dead looking, and one sleeps on its own. Is it something I’m doing wrong? 3 had pasty butt when I brought them home, I cleaned them all and so far so good.

Y’all idk what happened. A neighbor got about 20 chicks from Meyers, hatched Monday. I got 8 from her Friday. They did great Friday night and Saturday. I ordered a heat plate and switched the lamp for the plate last night. I heard LOUD peeping at 3:30 am and went to check them and one had died UNDER the plate. Idk what happened? Was it because I switched their heat? I panicked, removed dead chick, plate, and put them back under a light. I’m worried though that they’re either too hot or too cold. “Cool side” of tank is 82. Warm side is 96. Some sleep dog piled, some sleep face down dead looking, and one sleeps on its own. Is it something I’m doing wrong? 3 had pasty butt when I brought them home, I cleaned them all and so far so good.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I don't know much about hatching, but I do hope you get help.

Sorry about the chick.

Can you post photos of your brooder and the chicks?

Hard to know why the one chick died, it could have been from so many things.

It's not uncommon for them to sleep close together. If they seem to be happy and are moving around the brooder, active and eating/drinking, then continue as you're doing.

Sorry about the chick.

Can you post photos of your brooder and the chicks?

Hard to know why the one chick died, it could have been from so many things.

It's not uncommon for them to sleep close together. If they seem to be happy and are moving around the brooder, active and eating/drinking, then continue as you're doing.

This was the set up before I switched to heater plate when we had all 8 :(

I put it back to how it was (mostly) I had to fashion the light differently because once I made a hardware cloth top to make sure they couldn’t get out or anything get in, light is suspended above it so it’s not as local beam of light. Which is also why cool side is now 82 instead of 76 like it was Friday and sat.

Attachments

• D30FFD64-1048-4AF3-8651-DB0A4B7482F7.jpeg
    D30FFD64-1048-4AF3-8651-DB0A4B7482F7.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 26
Set up looks good.

Are they all still doing o.k.?

Sometimes you may have a weak one that just fails to thrive.
I had a long day at work yesterday, so husband was on chick duty. Said they seemed fine (idk what his version is tho lol) but today I’ve been watching real close and they’re all super active! Didn’t have any losses last night so I think I may just stick with heat lamp. That plate freaks me out now 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thanks for checking in. My fam thinks I’m crazy “it’s a chicken, it happens” Ummm sorry for loving them?? Lol

I had a long day at work yesterday, so husband was on chick duty. Said they seemed fine (idk what his version is tho lol) but today I’ve been watching real close and they’re all super active! Didn’t have any losses last night so I think I may just stick with heat lamp. That plate freaks me out now 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thanks for checking in. My fam thinks I’m crazy “it’s a chicken, it happens” Ummm sorry for loving them?? Lol
Glad they are doing good!

I like the brooder plates or heating pad caves much better than heat lamps, but everyone has their preferences.

Now, I'll sound like a worrying old lady here, just be sure to secure that heat lamp very well so it doesn't fall. Lamps are the cause of many a fire.

It's sad when you lose one, it does happen, but it's also reason to pause and consider a life lost.

We have a few of our runts that sleep under the lamp, beak down, look dead until you touch em, then they look offended. I’ve never used a heat plate , so can’t comment on that.
Sorry for the loss of a chick.

Back
Top Bottom