Lost over half in 24 hours!!

It has to be shipping stress. Without food or water for 5 days, many were past the point of no return when they arrived, with organ systems already shutting down.

Poultry Nutridrench may help the remaining chicks. I'd also recommend giving them mashed scrambled or hard-boiled eggs rather than chick starter for a couple of days. Eggs are high in moisture, vitamins, protein, minerals, etc. and are highly digestible.

Sending my sympathies for a horrible situation. I agree with everyone that 5 days in shipping is much too long and almost certainly the culprit. Poor little chicks. I hope the rest pull through for you and the hatchery compensates you for the losses.

reading temp is a funny thing. I have 5, 6 day olds in an outdoor mini chicken house that looks like a sea side coastal house and that is in a section of the chicken coop, my other birds cannot get to. I have a 125 w on them, they seem to be doing fine. they were not crowding under light though, and they were not panting. I raised the light though so it they could go under it more.
dawnacus 428.jpg

Last edited:
reading temp is a funny thing. I have 5, 6 day olds in an outdoor mini chicken house that looks like a sea side coastal house and that is in as section of the chicken coop, my other birds cannot get to. I have a 125 w on them, they seem to be doing fine. they were not crowding under light though, and they were not panting. I raised the light though so it they could go under it more. View attachment 1200926
Cute Chicks, congrats...

Back
Top Bottom