Loud chickens... Easter Egger....

chickyflock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
I am moving into a smaller home with smaller property. Our neighbors will be closer to us then in my previous home. I always had chickens and would like to have a small flock at my new home. The concern I have is finding a breed that is quiet. I know the buff orpington is a quiet bird and I have enjoyed having them. I really only want 3 chickens so I was considering an orpington, australop (which I also owned) and possibly an easter egger. I have never owned an easter egger are these birds docile and quiet like the other breeds I mentioned?

my EE's aren't quiet or docile... they scream like banshee's when they're worked up and I can't get a hold of them easily. that being said, every bird is different, but EE's wouldn't be my choice for quiet.

LOL..Thanks for the reply. I recognize that chicken scream. I had a red that was louder than any rooster. Anytime an egg was laid by anyone in the flock, she would celebrate and she wanted the whole world to know. I really love the personality of the buff orpington. I know this is stupid but I would get three but I hate that they are exactly alike and I won't be able to tell them apart. Our chickens have always been our pets and we name them...

why not get three different orpingtons. a buff, red, black or blue i didn't see any other colors maybe white. i don't have any so i cant say they are quiet or not.

I'm considering that. They even have a lavender orpington. I owed two buff orpingtons and they are the friendliest chickens. Very docile and quiet. The downside is they can be a target for an aggressive chicken. I'm wondering if the other colored orpingtons have the same personality as the buff. Are the other colored orpingstons a "mix breed". Then there personality might not be quiet like the"original" buff. I guess I have to look into this. It was a question that arose when I saw how many different colored orpingtons there are. I always thought the orpingtons were only buff color.

I have two lavender orpingtons and they're nice birds.. one though (frankenstein) thinks she's a rooster now and tries to do this awful mock crow. They are a very pretty bird and I always get lots of comments on them.

I'm considering that. They even have a lavender orpington. I owed two buff orpingtons and they are the friendliest chickens. Very docile and quiet. The downside is they can be a target for an aggressive chicken. I'm wondering if the other colored orpingtons have the same personality as the buff. Are the other colored orpingstons a "mix breed". Then there personality might not be quiet like the"original" buff. I guess I have to look into this. It was a question that arose when I saw how many different colored orpingtons there are. I always thought the orpingtons were only buff color.

You can still go with EEs if you want considering EEs are a cross between a blue/green egg laying chicken and then any other breed, so it really can depend on what the cross was. As for orpingtons, they are still pure if they're a different color. Actually I think (and I may be wrong), that the first color they came in was black. You can probably go to the Orpington threads for better info. And I don't think you should have to worry about your orps being bullied much I was worried about the same thing before I got mine and they ended up being towards the top of the pecking order

Back
Top Bottom