"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Quote:
Hi. Well, I have never tried bringing birds across state lines. I'm not sure what the laws are on that. You may check in to the different laws. I live in Opelousas, which is close to Lafayette. I work in Lafayette. There are a lot of us chicken lovers in Louisiana. You will have no problem finding us.
gig.gif
There are a lot of good people who have birds in this area. Louisiana is a great place to live. I don't think that I could live anywhere else. Hope to see you in our great state soon.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is how I feel too!!
smile.png

Welcome to the new comers!!
frow.gif

I agree I'm not sure about state lines but you would definetly not have a problem getting you some more if you have to get rid of your flock!!

Just curious, what suburb around Baton Rouge were you in?? We live right outside of Baton Rouge & Zachary in Pride!!!

Quote:
Well come on back! I know ya'll are dying for some boiled crawfish!
wink.png

I used to work in New Roads on the weekends at the hospital years ago when I lived in Baton Rouge,.. It was such a cool little town,..so pretty.

You would be able to find some nice local chickens when you get here,

thunder123 lives Jackson, La 45 min north of Baton Rouge and sells nice birds and you've already "met " kuntrygirl who has a nice website and some nice chickens as well as other animals..
There is a Mississippi hatchery that is pretty nice and is trying to breed better hatchery animals. SouthernFarmsHatchery.com..

Quote:
This is how I feel too!!
smile.png

Welcome to the new comers!!
frow.gif

I agree I'm not sure about state lines but you would definetly not have a problem getting you some more if you have to get rid of your flock!!

Just curious, what suburb around Baton Rouge were you in?? We live right outside of Baton Rouge & Zachary in Pride!!!

Hahaha... we were in Baker and did most of our shopping in Zachary. We lived in Baker at the time when they built the Super Walmart there... there used to be a regular Walmart across the street from it, right across Groom Road there. We lived right across the street from Baker High.

ETA: One of my favorite restaurants in the whole world is the Cafe Phoenecia there in Zachary. Is it still there?

Last edited:
Did everyone survive the freeze last night? All of my waterers were frozen. The ducks were trying to drink water but couldn't. They were also trying to get in their pools but it was frozen solid. I had to walk around with a hammer and hammer a hole in the ice. It was freezing this morning. We cut some small trees down last night and built several fires.

I don't see how the Northerners do it. They have my admiration and respect for sure! Anybody who would willingly live where they not only put up with this kind of cold but also the ice, snow, sleet & slush -- they can have it; I sure don't want it.

Same here -- it was 26 & I broke ice (I use a big screwdriver) & refilled waterers -- FUN - the pipes at the barn are frozen so I got to lug it from the house. We have brooder lamps for our barn cats & tarps everywhere - the birds couldn't care less - they were out & about this morning like they didn't even feel cold at all!

Supposed to be 20 tomorrow morning & so on, be glad when it warms up this weekend.

OK at least the sun is shining. I'm sitting here shivering in my desk at work; this old building is so cold you could hang meat in here & I'm the only woman - the guys all like to keep it cold year round. But the sun coming through my window is warm!

Too bad we can't bottle up some of this cold air & save it for next summer when it hits 100!

Quote:
Yea, I also have brooder lamps for my barn cats (A.K.A. garage cats). I have about 20 baby chicks that are a month or so old, so I have to keep the lamps on them. I have been bringing my big Cornish girls in with the cats. They all huddle up by the heater and sleep. I think my Cornish girls they like the attention. They get warm mash on the cold mornings. After they eat, they go to sleep.

Suppose to be 61 degrees this weekend. Still too cold for me but it's better then 27 degrees. I am looking forward to the warm weather. When is that?
gig.gif

Another cold one tonight. Bundle up everyone.

Quote:
Hi HHandBasket, I currently live in Vinton, but will be moving to Sulphur on our 10 acre farm once remodeling is completed. Sulphur is about 15 minutes from Lake Charles. And yes, you spelled Calcasieu correctly. I am originally from Abbeville which is about 23 miles south of Lafayette. I'd love to get to know other bird people in my area.

Back
Top Bottom