"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Sorry Birdie. One I'm a southern man, two you couldn't afford me, and three I'm retired from carpentry.
lol.png

So who is doing all that work for your chooks then???
yuckyuck.gif

They look perfect to me.........unless you feel like sewing some pretty curtains to decorate them
lol.png
Oh wait, that's me that does that. Haha! But really, they do look perfect.
Thank you Lemon. I hope they look perfect to my hennies.

I don't know about swimming in eggs. I think the majority are cockerels.
hmm.png
It was a straight run.

Now a days I only hire myself out to myself.
lol.png

Problem is I work harder and put in longer days than I did when I working for a living. But is much more fun building for yourself especially for chickens. They don't care what things look like except maybe pretty curtains on nest boxes.
big_smile.png
Might have to hang some burlap.

Last edited:
This is the nest box I built yesterday. The openings are about 16x16x16. I may need to close up the entrances for more privacy. I used 1/2 hardware cloth for the bottoms under the leaves to aid in cleaning. I also may need to lower the ceiling in each nest box. I read that too high of an opening allows the hen to stand up and poop in the box.
Most hens lay standing up poopping is unavoidable but they don't poop in the nest box to much . Your boxes look great. Now the wait that's the only draw back to them is waiting on the eggs. Pam

Last edited:
I've finally gotten the big run addition almost completed. At least close enough to take some pics. :) All runs combined are over 3000 sqft. Each section of the coop has over 1000 sqft of run. Before and after shots. Built the chicken door today. I'm not so sure the counterweight is a good idea. Thought maybe a coon might figure out that it can lift the door from the outside if it got into the run.
I think you win best coop and run award! :thumbsup

Problem is I work harder and put in longer days than I did when I working for a living. But is much more fun building for yourself especially for chickens. They don't care what things look like except maybe pretty curtains on nest boxes. :D   Might have to hang some burlap.

We are often the hardest on ourselves. Burlap would be appropriate considering the other rustic surroundings in the coop
:lol:
The curtains on our boxes are really dusty now and I'm just going to trash them and put up new ones. They were just old fabric cut from clothes someone grew out of anyway. Play clothes at that. I really think they like it. They push right past the fabric like a dog does past a doggie door. I used dark navy blue last time. I really put them up though because the boxes face the windows. If they were positioned differently I probably would not go to the effort because it would likely be cozy enough without it.

These are the OTHER breed my youngest finally twisted my arm on. They are hatchery Silver Duckwing Old English Bantam. I'm not inclined to let her have a Buff ORP rooster to breed with, so these bantams should fit more appropriately for her.

Back
Top Bottom