"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Good morning everyone. It's been awhile. I bought a new house and had to build all new pens. Now I have a chicken yard that is 50 x 70. I have many more animals. Lost my father in law right after the move. It been a long year. Hope everyone is doing well.

Pam, wanted to show you an updated pic of Ragnar. He's really filled out nicely!

Lagertha is broody again and she is FIERCE. I've never had a chicken attack me like that. I'm going to have to move her, so the kids don't get hurt.

Sorry camping for my absence but I should be back regularly now. Good to hear they survived the preditor . One of my hens went broody too. It's hot and the slow season so I let a few go with it. The svart hona was the best mom she hatched 5 4 of them made it. I find most broodies will bite you. They are very protective like all mothers. Pam

Pam, wanted to show you an updated pic of Ragnar. He's really filled out nicely!

Lagertha is broody again and she is FIERCE. I've never had a chicken attack me like that. I'm going to have to move her, so the kids don't get hurt.

Sorry camping for my absence but I should be back regularly now. Good to hear they survived the preditor . One of my hens went broody too. It's hot and the slow season so I let a few go with it. The svart hona was the best mom she hatched 5 4 of them made it. I find most broodies will bite you. They are very protective like all mothers. Pam

Glad you're back! :hugs

So far one of my HRIR has had the best rate. She hatched 8 of 11 but one drowned in the water pan before I chick-proofed it.

I've have broodies puff up and scream or peck once or twice, but the hona bites and won't let go. She wasn't even that vicious the last time she was broody.

What breed is this???

Beautiful!!! I have never seen one like that

Svart hona. They're super cool. :D

What breed is this???

Nice!!! I like

I sell them, and so does Pam. I have breed pairs available, and hatching eggs. :D

Hey. Haven't been on in a while. Hope everyone is doing well. I had one hen just die on me and it really baffled me. A few others had died over the year so I wondered if I was doing something wrong. I did a necropsy with Christina on one and found that she had a twisted intestine. Something I couldn't have prevented.

Then another died a little later. Beautiful young healthy hen. So I took her to LSU vet and they did a super thorough necropsy for $48. Not cheap but really worth it. She had a fatty liver, also something I couldn't prevent especially considering what I feed them. So just a string of bad luck.
The necropsy showed some worms, not infested, but recommended worming. I did some research and found that SafeGuard was for the two kinds of worms they have. I read to just give them like a BB sized bit of it and wait two weeks and do it again. I got the SafeGuard but thought I'd wait until they quit laying for fall since they're not infested.
Has anyone used SafeGuard before? How did you do it? Any thoughts on it or on when I plan to do it?
Thanks, guys.

What breed is this???

Nice!!! I like

I sell them, and so does Pam. I have breed pairs available, and hatching eggs. :D

My hubby would kill me if I bought any more. He just helped me build a bigger run. 50x70. Lol. Can't have enough chickens.

Back
Top Bottom