"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey yall!! Just joined from Calhoun, La!! Looking for a Americana, Easter egger, or Olive Egger cockerel if anyone has One! TIA!
Hello kirstiedanielle, i am in jena, i have several to choose from if you are still needing one of these roosters, look me up on FB, or join (elcamino everything poultry and livestock) i have friends in Calhoun, Ruston and area.

Mrs. Terri,

How have you and your family been doing? When I came and bought that Octagon incubator a while back, I remember you saying you had raised Heritage RIR but had to give them up. I'm looking for some myself now...do you know where I can find some quality birds? Would prefer chicks.

Thanks

Mrs. Terri,

How have you and your family been doing? When I came and bought that Octagon incubator a while back, I remember you saying you had raised Heritage RIR but had to give them up. I'm looking for some myself now...do you know where I can find some quality birds? Would prefer chicks.

Thanks

Not sure anymore; I've been out of the loop too long! but you might contact some of the people in the RIR thread - I know there are several there that raise to the standard & show their birds.

Ended up not getting the guinea keets. I just don't have the time to spare right now. My 85 yr old Mom & my husband are having some health issues & they keep me on the hop. Maybe down the road I can get back into it. I miss my peacocks most of all this time of year - they were so pretty fanning & dancing. People used to stop & take pictures of them.

Mrs. Terri,

Thanks

Good to see you getting back into chickens again!

Hey! Living in Luling. St Charles parish. No chickens yet but have been researching the idea in these forums for the last week or so. Thinking of starting a 3 chicken coop maybe 2 ducks. Mainly for the eggs. I have approx 1 acre lot off of river road that has about 3/4th of it just open grass (fenced in) trying to read up if I should do a coop and small run or just a coop be let them free range the yard. Plan on having a couple raised veggie garden boxes though. Would the chickrns mess with them?

Anyways! This forums a great find!

Good to see you getting back into chickens again!

Thank you! It was a really tough decision to cull my entire flock of 40 and start over. I was really discouraged and didn't want to get any birds for a while after that but after a few months of looking at my pen sitting there empty I had to get more. I took it as a lesson learned the hard way about biosecurity. I don't go to swaps anymore and I'm careful about adding birds now. I bought a few layers last spring and things have slowly escalated from there and now I'm up to about 35 or so again. Have a good mix of hatchery layers and some breeder quality birds as well.

Have you been able to recover from the flood?

Not sure anymore; I've been out of the loop too long! but you might contact some of the people in the RIR thread - I know there are several there that raise to the standard & show their birds.

Ended up not getting the guinea keets. I just don't have the time to spare right now. My 85 yr old Mom & my husband are having some health issues & they keep me on the hop. Maybe down the road I can get back into it. I miss my peacocks most of all this time of year - they were so pretty fanning & dancing. People used to stop & take pictures of them.

I'll keep looking, thanks. Good luck with your mother and husband hope all goes well. Hopefully one day you can get back into it!

Thank you! It was a really tough decision to cull my entire flock of 40 and start over. I was really discouraged and didn't want to get any birds for a while after that but after a few months of looking at my pen sitting there empty I had to get more. I took it as a lesson learned the hard way about biosecurity. I don't go to swaps anymore and I'm careful about adding birds now.  I bought a few layers last spring and things have slowly escalated from there and now I'm up to about 35 or so again. Have a good mix of hatchery layers and some breeder quality birds as well. 

Have you been able to recover from the flood? 

I'm still working on our house. I did my mom's place first and I've helped a couple others along the way so it's taking a little longer to get ours done. Almost there tho. Tks for asking. My chickens are still at a neighbor's place, I'm anxious to get them home.

Hey! Living in Luling. St Charles parish. No chickens yet but have been researching the idea in these forums for the last week or so. Thinking of starting a 3 chicken coop maybe 2 ducks. Mainly for the eggs. I have approx 1 acre lot off of river road that has about 3/4th of it just open grass (fenced in) trying to read up if I should do a coop and small run or just a coop be let them free range the yard. Plan on having a couple raised veggie garden boxes though. Would the chickrns mess with them?

Anyways! This forums a great find!

Welcome! North of Baton Rouge here. 3/4ths of an acre fenced would be plenty of land for chickens to free range during the day but I would definitely have them a place to be locked in at night. Not sure if you've had ducks before but they are messy compared to chickens. If you're planning a garden, free ranging them may not be the best idea unless you put a fence around it because they would love to get in there do some damage. I had to put an electric fence up around my garden to keep them out.

Thanks! I was worried about that and wondered if I should fence off the veggie garden. I'll definitely do that then!

Question about getting chicken back into the coop. Do they automatically go in at days or I have to round them up. If they do automatically go, what round about time? Once it's dark?

Welcome! North of Baton Rouge here. 3/4ths of an acre fenced would be plenty of land for chickens to free range during the day but I would definitely have them a place to be locked in at night. Not sure if you've had ducks before but they are messy compared to chickens. If you're planning a garden, free ranging them may not be the best idea unless you put a fence around it because they would love to get in there do some damage. I had to put an electric fence up around my garden to keep them out. 

Back
Top Bottom