"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

$5 g's for ONE chicken!? Because it black all the way thru? But lays few eggs and cream colors at that...what else am I missing? No. Doesn't matter lol
th.gif
Holy Toledo Batman!!! (I have boys, we use these expressions
hu.gif
) They were interesting...got suspicious about the $100.00 "holding fee" and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the price!! CRAZY!

Last edited:
Help! I am hoping to find 1 or 2 day old chicks. My hatch went poorly and my broody hen only has 1 lonely chick who is now 2 days old. She's still sitting on The last 2 eggs but I'm pretty sure they are duds. I think I could slip a chick under her tonight and she would accept it. I'm in Shreveport

Thanks everyone for the advice about locking the girls in the coop at night. I will start doing so to be on the safe side. I have the heavy duty wire all around the outside of the run 1 foot out, however, I did not run the wire on the floor of run. So, if something was determined enough, it could tunnel in. My youngest would be crushed if something happened to "his" chickens!

I have to chime in and say that my raised open air coops are predator proof. The only predator that can get in a coop that is 3 feet off the ground is a 2 legged human. And if I catch him, he will be crawling away with busted knee caps.
lau.gif
If busted knee caps is all, he got away EASY!!!! Aim higher than the knee caps, and lower than the belly button.
tongue2.gif

I had a black runner slithering around my property but was told they are not a threat to full grown chickens. Sadly, that turned out not to be the case. We lost Little Chickie (Rhode Island Red) and Spotty (Barred Rock) out of my large coop and our Black Orpington out of the chicken tractor even though it has been reinforced with a 1" x 2" wire. Needless to say, the next time he made himself visible, he was killed. It's heartbreaking to lose one of our little feathered friends. Just wanted to let everyone know to be on the lookout for snakes as well, even non-poisonous.

Looks like I'm raising Black Soldier Flies after all. Lol!!!!

Lol They're very easy to "raise" in our area. I actually raise mealworms (my birds' favorite treat) and the first go round the screen lifted at one edge of the container and black soldier flies took the opportunity to lay eggs in with the mealworms. The black soldier fly larvae colonized the bottom half of the container and the mealworm colony remained in the top half. They cohabitate wonderfully and the birds love them both.

I have read that one shouldn't let chickens eat larvae that has grown in chicken poop, but I don't see any way to prevent it completely. I put the poop in the compost and the flies find it there. The chickens scratch through the compost and eat the larvae. I haven't had any problems thus far.

Back
Top Bottom