"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

robin i just to some white rocks off turner i keep my humidity 60 to 65% on last 3 days but if you have good results with the way your doing keep doing it!!!!

Hi! 1st hatch here... Is anyone from North LA that is currently incubating? My humidity is staying between 30 and 40% with no added water. My air cells seem to be doing what they should (as far as I can tell lol)

Is this pretty normal? I figured I would be adding water!!!

I have used a medicine cup with water on a few days to increase but that is all and I would just set the cup in the bator until the humidity started to rise above 35 and then take it out.

Just curious.
welcome-byc.gif
I don't incubate but someone will be able to help you

I don't incubate yet either but I do know that there is a lot of humidity in our air so that is why the humidity would be up without added water. We have a few that are great at incubating on here so if you wait until they get on they can give you great advise.

Good Tuesday morning peeps!

CackedNut I know you have Golden Polish.

These 2 little hens I have are giving me a bit of a hard time.  They have been raised right along side of a half dozen other breeds, 9wks old now.  They are the most skittish of any of the chicks.  WAY worse than any of the others.  The Columbian Wyandottes were also, but never as bad as the Polish.  The Columbians are coming out of it though, finally.  But these Polish act like we are taking them straight to the killing cone if we even get our hands close to them, let alone pick them up (which we do anyway).  Now their tophats are getting bigger we actually have an easier time picking them up because they don't always see us coming.  But they still act nutty.  I am going to trim a couple of feathers so they can see a bit better today.  I think its better right now for them to see what's coming at them.  But I am wondering if it is maybe just the McMurray line of Golden Polish that act this way?????  Or is it all Golden Polish?  Is it something they can be encouraged to grow out of?  We have been working on all the chicks to keep them calm when we are around and with our hands close.  We spend time feeding goodies and touching/holding the chicks that love it.  It encourages the others to come close and they are all doing really well...........except for those 2 Polish.  I got those 2 strictly for self indulgence.  I admit it.  :oops:   They obviously could have nothing to do with what my husbands aim is for us to start a new journey in breeding for dual purpose birds.  Lol!  These cuties are challenging me, but I won't give up!  :barnie

There are so many reasons that I like our flock to be handled.  Health checks and such.  But even when I go and work around them, if they are all cool with it to a reasonable degree, that helps to avoid injuries from birds acting nutty because they are freaking out about a person being in their space.

My Amercaunas are very skiddish. One way I got them a little calmed down is at night when I would go close the coop I'd hold them and pet them. They are easy to pick up and pet when it's bedtime and that way they would be handled regularly without freaking out. A worker went into the yard though and she went berserk and jumped a fence and I thought I'd never catch her. She was shreaking. Poor girl. Didn't do well with a stranger that I didn't bring in. It's funny though, she is the one that is right on my heels when I'm working in the yard.

Last edited:
Update on my friend: he really shouldn't be alone any more for hours at a time. I spent yesterday looking for a Medicaid nursing home. I found a really nice one. It was so clean with lots of natural light and high ceilings. The patients looked clean and happy. I'll post a foto of the lobby, it is a tropical paradise with waterfalls and canals and plants. The 3 closest friends talked with him today and he agreed to go. He felt he needed to. It feels so fast. Here's a foto of us a week or so ago. He doesn't look like this now.

KEEP FINGERS CROSSED FOR ME LAST NIGHT I TOOK 6 BLOSL WR AND 5 JWHIP WR OF TURNER LAST NIGHT COUPLA THREE DAYS HOPE I HAVE SOME WHITE ROCK CHICKS

Update on my friend: he really shouldn't be alone any more for hours at a time. I spent yesterday looking for a Medicaid nursing home. I found a really nice one. It was so clean with lots of natural light and high ceilings. The patients looked clean and happy. I'll post a foto of the lobby, it is a tropical paradise with waterfalls and canals and plants. The 3 closest friends talked with him today and he agreed to go. He felt he needed to. It feels so fast. Here's a foto of us a week or so ago. He doesn't look like this now.

That was a hard decision for you guys to make. I am glad you found a peaceful place for him to be taken care of. I wish you strength threw this hard time.

Back
Top Bottom